4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
IMS fuel tank on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 XR650L NX650 FMX650 - Frame, Body & Electrical
 IMS fuel tank
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weelieboy
01 XR650L

weelieboy has no Avatar

Australia
9 Posts

Topic started on 02/17/2004 at 1:03:48 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everyone. i went to my local one and only dickhead honda dealer and ordered a new IMS tank which took 3 months to arrive. anyway i was after any feedback on anyone else who had put one on there bike and how they got on with mileage as there is only one fuel tap on the tank and just on observation it looks as though there could be a substantial amount of fuel left sitting on the opposite side when the fuel level gets down to a certain amount. i have 14/48 55 pilot, 155main and all of the other carb, inlet and exhaust mods.

01 xr650l, 55pilot, 155main, vacuum slide drilled 5/32, needle raised 0.5mm,snorkel removed, finer airfilter, exhaust baffle removed, 14/48 sprockets,TAG bars

Trailryder42
Amarillo, TX

USA
1085 Posts

Posted on 02/17/2004 at 4:40:56 PM  Member Profile  Visit Trailryder42's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have an IMS 4 gallon on my XR4 with same mods, jetting and sprockets as you. I've not run it out of gas yet. I think the longest trip I've done on it is 120 miles. Still had plenty left. I'm guessing I could probably get at least 150 out of it. But as with anything, I'm sure itdepends on the terrain you're riding and how heavy handed you are with the throttle. I like the big tank. Never had it low enough to have to use reserve but if it came down to it and it wouldn't get the very last little bit of fuel on the right side of the tank, I have no problem with leaning the bike over to transfer fuel.

2000 XR400R - 440 kit, Mikuni pumper, Hebo hydraulic clutch, WER suspension
2003 Red Kawasaki Meanstreak
2004 KLR650
Tech: XR400R High-Speed Compression Fork Valve-Stack Mod

mcdavis
Ridgecrest, CA

mcdavis has no Avatar

USA
143 Posts

Posted on 02/18/2004 at 09:58:53 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
i've got one on my 1997 xr400r, went 200 miles on the tank once, did not hit reserve when i finished up. have the clear variety though, i would not have passed up those gas stations if i could not see thorugh it.

i wasn't riding really fast though.

i've read on cycoactive.com that you do need to lay the bike down to get the last little bit of gas to the other side. but this is the extreme, when you've gone on reserve and you're about to be stranded.

but my buddy put an ims on his wr450 and it has two spickets, one on both sides of the tank. be neat to figure out how to do it

97 XR400R

XR4DEZ
El Centro, CA

XR4DEZ has no Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Posted on 02/18/2004 at 10:38:22 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought an IMS for fit and quality and have not been disappointed. You're right there on the petcock problem. Fuel gets left in the lower side so you've gotta tip the bike to make the fuel crossover, you do get some cross from slosh. I don't miss a chance to fill the tank, if I'm out on a long ride.

XR650R

mclum1
Kansas City, MO

USA
44 Posts

Posted on 02/18/2004 at 12:22:07 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the XR400 model, but my Acerbis 5.0 gallon on my 650L has a petcock on both sides. Without them, there would be a good 1/3-1/2 gallon on the right side I would be able to use unless I leaned it over.

Mike in KC

04 XR650L - D756 Rear, 15T/48T (st), 13T/48T (drt), Race Tech .46 fork springs & Eibach 12.5kg/mm shock spring, Acerbis 5.0 Gal Tank, Acerbis Fork/Disc guard, smog block-off, XRO thermo dipstick, SRC Fork brace/fork guards, Steahly Skid Plate, Renthal Banshee bars, FMF Q pipe, stock needle shimmed, 55 pilot (DJ), 165 main (DJ), slide drilled, Uni filter, de-snorkeled, Acerbis Rally Pro handguards
'94 XR250R (son's) Thumper 280 kit, Unifilter, Steahly Skid Plate

XRFireguy
La Mesa, CA

USA
228 Posts

Posted on 02/18/2004 at 9:56:18 PM  Member Profile  Send XRFireguy an AOL message  Send XRFireguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine had the same issue on his 400 and he drilled and installed a second petcock. Now the tank has 2 petcocks and feeds from both sides. I am willing to tip the bike instead of the twin shut-off thing myself.

see ya

2003 XR650R - Desert Tested, Desert Raced
2001 400EX - Once was mine, now is wifes
1974 Yamaha DT 360 in mint condition!

TimBRP
Blackstone, MA

TimBRP has no Avatar

USA
495 Posts

Posted on 02/19/2004 at 11:00:48 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be purchasing an IMS 3.2 for my xr650r. How is the natural color tank? Is it more passive with respect to gas fumes than other colored tanks? I'm going to put new graphics on but don't want to waste the money if they're going to bubble up. I'm going to put them on prior to gas fill up so that should help too. Also does it discolor quickly?

'02 XR650R Uncorked
'99 Husky WR 250
'06 Yamaha WR450

XR4DEZ
El Centro, CA

XR4DEZ has no Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Posted on 02/19/2004 at 1:48:46 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
The natural color tanks fade and yellow within a few months, just the way it goes.I like to know my fuel level so I use one. Wish I would of bought the 4.6 gal. tank rather than the 3.2gal.If you don't ride more than 75 miles a loop, then 3.2 is fine.I'm gonna get the 4.6 in a month or so, if anyone is interested in a used natual 3.2.

XR650R

Trailryder42
Amarillo, TX

USA
1085 Posts

Posted on 02/19/2004 at 3:27:46 PM  Member Profile  Visit Trailryder42's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only thing about adding a 2nd petcock is that the tank was only engineered thickness-wise for the single location. To properly add a second one on the other side of the tank you'd need to somehow buildup the thickness of the tank in the petcock mounting location to accept the 2 mounting screws without them breaching the tank, or you'd need to install some kind of sealed blind rivnut to accept the screws and the mating surface would need to be nice and flat/smooth to allow sealing by the petcock O-ring.

I've had my IMS 4 gal for a year and have yet to need to transfer fuel manually from one side to the other. I don't think the effort to properly modify the tank nor the chance of ruining a $200 tank is warranted.

As for you guys that like to be able see how much fuel is in the tank at a glance but don't like the idea of a clear/natural tank that will yellow over time, you can rig a fuel gage. By putting a "T" in the fuel supply line between the tank and carb and a "T" in the gas cap vent line, you can run a clear piece of line between the "Ts", up beside, in front of, between seat and tank, or you can get creative as to placement, but the idea is that the fuel level in the line will rise to that of the level of fuel in the tank and you can see it anytime at a glance.

quote:
Originally posted by XRFireguy

A friend of mine had the same issue on his 400 and he drilled and installed a second petcock. Now the tank has 2 petcocks and feeds from both sides. I am willing to tip the bike instead of the twin shut-off thing myself.

see ya

2000 XR400R - 440 kit, Mikuni pumper, Hebo hydraulic clutch, WER suspension
2003 Red Kawasaki Meanstreak
2004 KLR650
Tech: XR400R High-Speed Compression Fork Valve-Stack Mod

Shakeyhands
Toronto, Ont

Canada
310 Posts

Posted on 02/26/2004 at 4:51:48 PM  Member Profile  Send Shakeyhands an AOL message  Send Shakeyhands a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
should have bought the Acerbis tank... two petcocks and fit and finish are unbelievable..

98 XR650L - 5.0GL (21 liter) Acerbis tank, Acerbis plastics, K&N filter, custom cut throttle tubes,(many, many, many mods planned)

Stu
Tirana

Stu has no Avatar

Albania
354 Posts

Posted on 02/27/2004 at 11:32:47 AM  Member Profile  Send Stu an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I got a Clarke 3.8 gallon tank for my XR250. I originally planned to install a pepcock on the right side. I bought all the parts from Mcmaster Carr. The plan was to install a brass bulkhead connector on the right side with a large washer made to mount on both the inside and outside of the tank. The outside washer would have been machined to accept an o-ring and silver soldered to the bulk head connector. This would be to insured a good seal. The bulkhead connector would only require a 1/2" (not sure) hole drilled in the tank and would be kept secure with a nut attached on the inside of the tank. A 1/4" hose would then be connected to another bulk head connector attached to the left side.

The hose would have to be routed below the upper frame tube which means that I'd have to remove one side of this hose to remove the tank.

I decided against connecting the left and right sides because the gas that sits in the right side serves as a reserve to the reserve. If I run out of gas on reserve, I know that I really really need to find gas at this point. Tipping the bike on its side will be a reminder to me of how important it will be to find gas now.

The KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principal was also key in the decision.

02 XR250R

ecko
Troy, NC

USA
25 Posts

Posted on 03/12/2004 at 06:37:48 AM  Member Profile  Send ecko an AOL message  Click to see ecko's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i was woindering does anyone know why they quit making XR500R's ?cuz i got one and its pretty good bike. engines been redone and its been bored out 60 over 60 but i just wanted to know why they quit making them

84 XR500R

TimBRP
Blackstone, MA

TimBRP has no Avatar

USA
495 Posts

Posted on 03/12/2004 at 09:21:27 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ecko

i was woindering does anyone know why they quit making XR500R's ?cuz i got one and its pretty good bike. engines been redone and its been bored out 60 over 60 but i just wanted to know why they quit making them

Because they made the Xr600. Better bike, single carb..etc.etc.

'02 XR650R Uncorked
'99 Husky WR 250
'06 Yamaha WR450

Lrules
Belleville, MI

Lrules has no Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Posted on 03/14/2004 at 10:09:35 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
If you get perforated graphics (the kind IMS sells to go with their tanks), bubbling up isn't a problem.

'02 xr650L - Rejetted, needle shimmed, slide drilled, K&N air filter smog crap and snorkel removed, tiny tach, spitfire windshield, happy trails highway pegs, 1 inch Genmar risers, PD lowering link.

ecko
Troy, NC

USA
25 Posts

Posted on 03/15/2004 at 03:38:00 AM  Member Profile  Send ecko an AOL message  Click to see ecko's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Because they made the Xr600. Better bike, single carb..etc.etc.

true u have a pointabout the xr600 but they also make a 650 so theres no point for them to continue with the 600's u see what i mean dont get me wrong i like 600's theyre pretty nice but they do make a better bike

84 XR500R
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2013 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page