4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
Changing/Adding fork oil (xr200) on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - Suspension & Controls
 Changing/Adding fork oil (xr200)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SHea
Surrey, BC

SHea has no Avatar

Canada
228 Posts

Topic started on 05/30/2004 at 5:09:39 PM  Member Profile  Visit SHea's Homepage  Click to see SHea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, I have a fork seal that is bad and I should add some oil to it before it runs dry. I'm not sure how do this, should I drain it completely then put alll new ATF in? Do both sides have to have the same amount of ATF? How do I take it apart and fill it up?

1990 XR200R
ATC 350X

idahorednek
Juliaetta, ID

idahorednek has no Avatar

USA
155 Posts

Posted on 05/31/2004 at 6:30:03 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
For consistancy they should be the same amount and both clean, but if you are just trying to get by, just keep enought in the leaky one to keep it working. I believe they are suposed to have four inches of space between the top of the oil and the top of the fork with the spring out and the fork compressed, but as long as you aren't worried about performance I would just keep adding oil to them. Luckily ATF is pretty cheap and you should be able to get by like this for a while without it costing you an arm and a leg.

1997 XR650L
2000 YZ426F - Needs a good home!

SpeedyManiac
Trail, BC

SpeedyManiac has no Avatar

Canada
493 Posts

Posted on 05/31/2004 at 9:50:46 PM  Member Profile  Visit SpeedyManiac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why not just fix the seal? I replaced my fork seals this year, they aren't expensive ($25 for each side) and are pretty easy to change. Just get yourself a service manual, some suspension fluid and a few tools and give yourself about two hours. Oh yeah, you may need an impact wrench to get the bolt holding the damper rod in out. Good luck.

2007 GasGas EC250 Six Days Edition
2001 GasGas EC200

Maco
E Kauai, HI

Maco has no Avatar

USA
366 Posts

Posted on 06/01/2004 at 01:37:08 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a good opportunity to learn about your forks.I've read here about slipping a thin business card around the seal to remove debris.You might as well get the service manual so you can start saving money by doing most of the work yourself.I haven't had to replace any seals but have taken the forks apart on my 200 many times.You do want both forks to have equal amounts of fluid as Idaho mentioned.I don't have the manual in front of me but I think it's close to 4 1/2 inches from the top of the tube to the top of the oil,springs out and forks fully compressed.ONce you take off the forks and put them back on it's not that bad.Since the pinch bolts need to be torqued you want to get those specs.I think you have the 200,if so I can recommend getting the Progressive springs for your forks and stepping up to 15 wt fork oil.

01 XR200R - Afam sprocket, RK chain, 909 handlebar, progressive, fork springs, race tech emulators, moose hand guards.
CRF150F (wifes) - 110 main, raised needle, baffle removed, snorkle removed, Race Tech emulators.

brian123
Toronto, Ont

Canada
274 Posts

Posted on 06/01/2004 at 8:30:27 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
The business card or a pice of camera film really seeems to work, also use the fork oil to rehidrate the seals.I'm not sure of the 4 1/2 inches bit, but I would fully drain the fork oil and add the correct amount of 5wgt measuring from the bottom of the tube,ie:trails ideas of the turkey baster idea,it works.I use 10wgt oil at 85mm. It roks.

'99 XR280R - Iridium spark plug, head pipes wrapped, big bore kit, air box mod, Twin Air filter, air tube mod, uncorked, Kihin 34mm carb, Gordon Mods, Renthal bars, 13/51 sprockets, Maxxis tire rear 120/100-18, Endurance computer, IMS Super Stock Pegs.

SHea
Surrey, BC

SHea has no Avatar

Canada
228 Posts

Posted on 06/01/2004 at 8:56:36 PM  Member Profile  Visit SHea's Homepage  Click to see SHea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got around to doing my forks. I tried to bussiness card but it never worked. So I decided to just add some ATF to the forks. As I am taking the second top off the fork (forgeting to put the bike on a stand) the top goes flying off and oil goes shooting everywhere. My bike and I are covered in black oil. The next 20 minutes are spent searching for the cap that went flying 10 feet in the air. I find it fill the shocks up and put it back together. One side of my forks still leaks but I cleaned it all up and took off the boots but there seems to be no visible damage to it. So for now I'll leave it the way it is.

1990 XR200R
ATC 350X

idahorednek
Juliaetta, ID

idahorednek has no Avatar

USA
155 Posts

Posted on 06/01/2004 at 9:01:27 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a word of warning, seals will get progressivly worse and you evntually won't be able to keep puting the seal change off.

1997 XR650L
2000 YZ426F - Needs a good home!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page