4Strokes.com
XR70 smokin like crazy, even after rebuild on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 XR70 smokin like crazy, even after rebuild
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dswezey
99 XR70R

dswezey has no Avatar

10 Posts

Topic started on 07/19/2004 at 07:42:18 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a '99 xr 70 that is smoking like crazy.

I Made sure the oil if filled to the proper level.

Put in new piston and rings and rebored the cylinder.

Adjusted the valves.

Split the cases for its 5 year tune up and put in new crankshaft bearings while I was in there.

Still smokes and runs like garbage. Could it be bad valves?

What else should I look at?

xr-for-ever
Cameron, NC

xr-for-ever has no Avatar

USA
206 Posts

Posted on 07/19/2004 at 08:57:33 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
When you bored it out did you get a piston for the oversized jug? and did you make sure that when you installed the rings that they were not ligned up with each other, the split in the ring should be spread out around the piston.

Also does it just smoke at start up or does it smoke when you are riding it for a long time? If it is at start up only then your valve seals are bad but long term smoke comes from your pistons and rings.

Mine: 71 Mini Z50 (Project), 72 CT70K1 H (still going strong), 2009 CRF230F
Son's: 2009 CRF80F

dswezey
99 XR70R

dswezey has no Avatar

10 Posts

Posted on 07/19/2004 at 09:04:54 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
It smokes like a bad diesel truck.

I had my local honda dealer rebore the cylinder and order the new piston so I assumed it was a correct fit.

I did make sure the rings were offset.

I must have done something wrong with the top end rebuild. It's the only thing I can think of.

farmboy
Benton, Ky

farmboy has no Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Posted on 07/19/2004 at 10:03:19 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
A neighbor had a similar problem and it was the muffler full of oil from before the rebuild. The bike had been ran a long time when it was in need of repair and coated the inside of the muffler with oil. He went through the top end (valve job, overbore, new piston)and it still smoked. He used kerosene to wash out the muffler and the smoking stopped.

xr-for-ever
Cameron, NC

USA
206 Posts

Posted on 07/19/2004 at 1:43:34 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say it smokes like a diesel, is the smoke dark black or is it blue, if it is black then you need to rejet or rase the needle in the carb, I am getting the feeling from the smokeing like a diesel that it is running to rich, run it wide open for about 100 yards and kill it, pull the plug and take a look at it, if it is black then you are running rich. Give it a try and see what it looks like.

dswezey
99 XR70R

dswezey has no Avatar

10 Posts

Posted on 07/20/2004 at 11:27:44 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a gray blue smoke. I ran it for about 5 minutes and tried to get it reved up but its sputtering at high RPM. When I was done there was actually spooge like you might find from a two stroke at the back end of the silencer.

I'll try cleaning out the pipe. That would be a nice easy fix.

Yes the plug is real sloppy. It running rich. Unfortunatly getting jets for the stock xr carb is virtually impossible.

VERY IMPORTANT INFO I LEFT OUT BEFORE> This is the second top end in less than a year. The bike ran fine for years. Now I get a bad smoking problem with only 15 hours on the new top end.

xr-for-ever
Cameron, NC

USA
206 Posts

Posted on 07/20/2004 at 2:58:20 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
You can rase the needle a clip postion or 2. Your local honda dealer should have jets for it, it sounds like there is more wrong with it then just jetting, the smoke is puzzleing, it sounds more like oil and water smoke then gas. I wish I could help out more but it has me puzzled. Let us know if you figure it out. Good luck.

dswezey
99 XR70R

dswezey has no Avatar

10 Posts

Posted on 07/22/2004 at 12:56:31 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I know why I couldn’t figure out my problem.: (Finally had a gear head work buddy over for some beers and engine diagnostic fun.)

1) I was using a micrometer that must have been damaged and when I was measuring the tolerances on the valves was way off. They were shot. Especially the exhaust valve. Time for some new tools.

2) The Honda dealer made a mistake on the rebore. They bored it out just a few mics larger to accommodate some damage after 5 years of neglect from the previous owner but forgot to order the larger piston and gave me a stock replacement. It was close enough to work but not for long as indicated by the ridiculous amount of grey smoke.

3) I had two exhaust gaskets overlayed. One was crammed up against the cylinder head and was so crusted with carbon that I never new it was on. Put the second one over it which created an air leak and the problems associated with that.

Fixes.
· My local dealer who is very good is providing a replacement piston at no charge.
· Ordered all new valve stuff.
· Popped out the extra exhaust gasket.

If that does not fix it than I’m busting out a hand grenade.

Honda Maniac
San Bernardino, CA

Honda Maniac has no Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Posted on 07/22/2004 at 2:31:19 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
lol... hope it works

1980 XL250S
1983 XL100S
2004 piece of junk 125 replica

xr-for-ever
Cameron, NC

USA
206 Posts

Posted on 07/22/2004 at 7:24:14 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I do believe I had said something about the piston size before. Well I am glad to see you have narrowed down and hopefully you get it going soon. Let us know how she does when you get it back up and running.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com