4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous Forums
 Other Misc Dirt Bike or ATV Topics
 Removing air bubbles from vinyl? (decals)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SHea
Surrey, BC

SHea has no Avatar

Canada
228 Posts

Topic started on 09/04/2004 at 11:19:40 AM  Member Profile  Visit SHea's Homepage  Click to see SHea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, I put down carbon fibre design vynal on my side number plates. There are a couple of air bubbles I cant get out by poking holes in them, Does anyone know any good tricks or tips on removing these air bubbles?

1990 XR200R
ATC 350X

XFarme
Michigan

XFarme has no Avatar

USA
154 Posts

Posted on 09/04/2004 at 11:58:12 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
The real trick is putting them on very slowly so as not to have any... But once they are under there and you have pressed on the sticker, there is no real good way to get them out... A tiny slit with a NEW (for the sharpness) razor will get them out, but it sometimes leaves a litle bump where they were... A pin prick sometimes works, but it usually leaves a bigger bump than the razor will...

2004 XR400R dual sport

doubleodevine
Brighton, MI

doubleodevine has no Avatar

USA
569 Posts

Posted on 09/04/2004 at 3:25:01 PM  Member Profile  Send doubleodevine an AOL message  Send doubleodevine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
when i tint windows, i have 3 main tools: SHARP razor, putty knife, and a heat gun. if the bubble is on the edge of the vinyl, cut a single straight line down the middle of the bubble, take the heat gun and put a little bit of heat on the bubble and try to take the putty knife to push the air through the razor slit by pushing in from each side. if it is a bubble in the middle of the vinyl, try to cut an 'X' on top of the bubble, take the heat gun, and do the same thing. cutting just a single line in the middle can sometimes work, but it may leave a crease. there really is no good way to do this, because either way you will still have a small imperfection mark, but thats the best i can offer. the purpose of the heat gun is to heat the vinyl and in the case of window tint, it shrinks the film to the window and makes the backing sticky so you can press the bubble out with the putty knife. a credit card or other straight edge may work instead of a putty knife but i like them because they are soft and are less prone to scratch your finish. i hope this helps
steve

Ride it like you stole it!

SHea
Surrey, BC

SHea has no Avatar

Canada
228 Posts

Posted on 09/04/2004 at 6:41:03 PM  Member Profile  Visit SHea's Homepage  Click to see SHea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, I got most of them out. Everyone should try this (carbon fibre design stickers) is looks really good on black plastic. I have another queston, is there any way to get it to stick better? Or should I just let time do it's job and it will eventually stick better to the plastic? I used a heat gun and that helped alot, but the previous owner of the bike covered the air box with the same material ( check sig. pic.) and it's stuck on there great.

1990 XR200R
ATC 350X

doubleodevine
Brighton, MI

doubleodevine has no Avatar

USA
569 Posts

Posted on 09/05/2004 at 07:57:50 AM  Member Profile  Send doubleodevine an AOL message  Send doubleodevine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
the sun beating on it while you ride should help glue it to the plastic some more. also, try the heat gun one more time to see if that helps. eventually, it should stick pretty well just by leaving it alone. when you put tints on windows (sorry for continuing to refer to this but ive never done vinyl so this is the best example i have lol), you are supposed to leave the windows rolled up for 2-4 days so that the water/solution/adhesive between the film and the window can dry and evaporate. otherwise, the film will peel off when you put the window down. im assuming it will be the same with your vinyl, but since the adhesive holding it on the plastic is thicker than water and soap, it may take up to a week to set properly if you have it in a dry place.

Ride it like you stole it!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com