4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Suzuki Four-Stroke 2-Wheel Forums
 Suzuki 4-Stroke - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 drz400s jetting options
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ckyguy68
03 KLX400SR

ckyguy68 has no Avatar

34 Posts

Topic started on 10/08/2004 at 9:22:47 PM  Member Profile  Send ckyguy68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i was wondering what kind of jetting set up would i use for a drz400s with a 3x3 airbox mod and a yoshimura complete exhaust system? would i need to change the jetting again if i also added a k&n filter?
thanks
alex

atk
2003 klx400sr pirelli mt18 front dunlop 606 rear, kickstand switch removed, got rid of rear taillight assembly, 3x3 airbox, dynojet kit, big gun full system

tomass
Ocala, FL

USA
475 Posts

Posted on 10/09/2004 at 2:02:08 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
First , you need to get a Dynojet jet kit. When you get the kit, you only use the needle and the big spring. Don't use any of the jets in the kit. The reason for this is because all those jets are smaller than the stock jet in your bike. It's that new needle that makes all the difference in the world. It's narrower than your stock needle and it has a different taper to it. Since the needle is narrower, it allows more fuel to slip by when you get on the throttle.

You've gone this far with all those mods so I would definately get a KnN air filter. You'll need all the airflow you can get.

I have an 02 DRZ 400-S and I did the Dynojet mod and you will love it. I also did the exhaust, hole in airbox, and KnN air filter. You really need to do them all at once. With just the new exhaust, your bike will run very lean and that's not good.

02 DRZ400S

fumanii

fumanii has no Avatar

8 Posts

Posted on 10/09/2004 at 4:54:20 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
When you do the dynojet/rejet, is it a fairly easy mod or should I take it to someone. I am not the most mechanically inclined unless it is fairly easy. Thanks,
Mike

tomass
Ocala, FL

USA
475 Posts

Posted on 10/10/2004 at 08:12:23 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's not too difficult, except for getting the carb out of the bike, and back in. Those boots have flex in them but it's still a job. The rest is easy in comparison. I did it myself and I'm not a mechanic by any means. Just pay attention when putting in the new needle. Also, the old needle just pulls out with pliers. Just twist and gently pull and it comes right out. The new needle goes in the same way. Just push it until you feel/hear a click. You can do this.

02 DRZ400S

fumanii

fumanii has no Avatar

8 Posts

Posted on 10/10/2004 at 11:01:05 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas,
Thanks for the advice. I will have to try it when I get some more money to buy all the stuff.
Mike

ckyguy68
03 KLX400SR

ckyguy68 has no Avatar

34 Posts

Posted on 10/12/2004 at 8:10:31 PM  Member Profile  Send ckyguy68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey guys,
i just cut open my airbox today and i found a less messy way to do it. i took a razor blade and held it with a pair of pliers, then heated it with a propane torch. it gets so hot it goes through the plastic like a hot knife through butter. it may not be the fastest way but it worked great for me and only took about 5 minutes.

atk
2003 klx400sr pirelli mt18 front dunlop 606 rear, kickstand switch removed, got rid of rear taillight assembly, 3x3 airbox, dynojet kit, big gun full system

ckyguy68
03 KLX400SR

ckyguy68 has no Avatar

34 Posts

Posted on 10/19/2004 at 3:59:23 PM  Member Profile  Send ckyguy68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i am having a little trouble with the jet kit i got. i am not too familiar with carburators and i the instruction that come with the dynojet kit are bad. i dont know where the "vacuum slide" is. where do i put the new needle and spring?
thanks
alex

atk

jeffke
Villajoyosa

Spain
140 Posts

Posted on 10/19/2004 at 5:17:35 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
take the black cap off the top of the carb, you will have access to the vacuum slide/needle.

01 DRZ400s - E cams, E compression, dynojet mod, compl CRD exaust, IMS tank, FX graphics, fatbar, acerbis head and tail light, Michelin baja tires, fork modded, all junk removed

Ron Elsavage
01 DRZ400S

Ron Elsavage has no Avatar

18 Posts

Posted on 10/19/2004 at 5:55:48 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex,

If you need help - send your e-mail address. I can send you the cut sheets from the service manual on the parts breakdown. The hardest part is getting the carb in\out. Taking it apart and changing the needle/jets is easy.

ckyguy68
03 KLX400SR

ckyguy68 has no Avatar

34 Posts

Posted on 10/20/2004 at 7:37:00 PM  Member Profile  Send ckyguy68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i have heard from a guy who claim he knows everything about jetting on the drz400s that you need to change the main and pilot jet when opening the airbox. is this true?
thanks
alex

atk

tomass
Ocala, FL

USA
475 Posts

Posted on 10/21/2004 at 4:01:51 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Any time you increase the amount of air going through your engine, you have to compinsate by adding more fuel to balance out the air/fuel mixture. Too much of either and your engine won't run at peak performance. So, if you go with the jetting I suggested before, it will run reeeeeaaaal gooooooood.

02 DRZ400S
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com