4Strokes.com
Spring rate (How to identify?) on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - Suspension & Controls
 Spring rate (How to identify?)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ivan

Ivan has no Avatar

8 Posts

Topic started on 06/21/2005 at 11:12:51 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
How can I identefy the rate of the spring on the shock? is it written somewhere? is there a color code?

I'm helping a friend to set his suspension on his new bike ('01 XR400) the previous owner sent the suspension to precison concepts. so when we checked the race sag was 140, and just a few threads on the shock body to loose the pre load, anyway we loose the pre load all the way up and and the racesag drop to 130. So i gues he needs a lighter spring.

Since the previous owner weighs around 210 i guess the spring rate must be 10.5, and my friend weighs 170, so a 9.5 will work. And i have the stock spring of my xr650r that i belive is a 9.5, will it fit the xr400 shock?

b_king
Oakville, ON

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted on 06/24/2005 at 05:56:18 AM  Member Profile  Click to see b_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
go to xrs only and then the section that takes you to suspension parts, under both companies, Eibach and Summers Racing, there is a chart of stock settings, and rider weight ratio charts. I believe the 650L and 600R springs will fit the 400R, if they say they are the same on the chart, I would call them to make sure...hope this helps.

08 KLX450R

roadcam
Northern CA

roadcam has no Avatar

USA
202 Posts

Posted on 06/24/2005 at 09:21:51 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
you may want to leave the stock spring, if he's that light...the stockers are way too soft,.. Honda seems to think all American riders are 5'6", 145#, evidently

2001 XR650L - 4gal IMS tank, DynaJet kit, slide drilled, Uni filter, un-corked, ground header welds, s/s oil filter, rim locks, Dunlop 606s, MSR Ultra Tubes, Supertrapp IDS2 w/8 discs, MSR CR-Hi bars, Pro-Grip gels, Corbin DS seat, Kouba-Link, Garmin E-Trex Legend GPS w/RAM mount, camera bar-mount, MSR roll-chart, SilverStar headlamp, Acerbis DS taillight, 14/45 & 15/48, X-Ring chain, bobbed & drilled fr fender, fr fender bag, Dual Star mirrors, Tusk s/s pegs, Mobil Delvac 15w/40 diesel oil.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page