4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 XR650L NX650 FMX650 - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 XR650L oil level check , CA. emissions removal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billthebike

billthebike has no Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Topic started on 05/13/2006 at 5:47:03 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay whats the proper way to check the oil level on an xr650l? standing straight up?, on its side stand? dipstick screwed in, or sitting on top of the filler opening?
how about emission removal on a california model bike(which mine is)? any special capping or block off procedures?
been reading a lot on jetting and needle shimming too. when you talk of different thickness washers, do you mean the inherent difference in mass production of them, or can you buy specific thickness ones?

see ya on the road skag.....

mitchner9g
California

USA
136 Posts

Posted on 05/13/2006 at 7:29:35 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billthebike

Okay whats the proper way to check the oil level on an xr650l? standing straight up?, on its side stand? dipstick screwed in, or sitting on top of the filler opening?

hi there. try searching the forums. here's a thread, the L is a tricky bird when it comes to oil changes: http://www.4Strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15215
try google. but i've read it before that you want to run the bike a few minutes after a cold start (but before it gets a lot of high rpm work -- you just want to awaken the beast). you then shut the engine off, hold the bike in a verticle stance, and then remove the dipstick, and then insert the dipstick without screwing it back in. it intimidates me to hell, and i'm not ashamed to say that i take the bike into a shop to have them switch out the oil since i know that they know what they're doing
quote:
how about emission removal on a california model bike(which mine is)? any special capping or block off procedures?
been reading a lot on jetting and needle shimming too. when you talk of different thickness washers, do you mean the inherent difference in mass production of them, or can you buy specific thickness ones?

basically, you want something in the .025-.030 range in thickness (probably well within tollerances of the production variances). what is important is that the washer(s) are not so wide that they won't seat properly when deployed in the needle and plastic widget assembly. they need to integrate well, so try to find a washer that does not extend past the shoulder of the jet needle much, if at all.

other more experienced fellows on this site might want to chime in if i'm off here.

95 XR650L

Hardcharger
San Diego, CA

USA
300 Posts

Posted on 05/14/2006 at 07:25:02 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billthebike

Do you have the little Owner's Manual? That has the factory recommended procedure. I warm my bike up by riding it for about 5 minutes. Then I shut it off & wait about 2 - 3 minutes. Then I get on the bike sitting straight up (no lean at all), unscrew the dipstick wipe it off, then reinsert with the threads touching the filler neck & pull it back out to view the level on it. Works for me over the last couple of decades with these RFVC motors.
quote:

The instructions on the block-off kits are pretty good. If you have questions or problems, just post them & you're sure to get some help, especially here.
quote:

I made mine from a spray paint can cap. I mic'd it & it was about 0.030" so I knew that was good for the thickness. I also tested it made sure it was impervious to fuel. Easy to drill & easy to cut to fit to match the jet needle head diameter. I know, I know, I'm an MA. It's been working fine for over 2 years now.

98 XR650L - Baja Proven
84 VT500FT - Vintage Street

billthebike

billthebike has no Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Posted on 05/14/2006 at 09:56:52 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by mitchner9g
]it intimidates me to hell, and i'm not ashamed to say that i take the bike into a shop to have them switch out the oil since i know that they know what they're doing

mitchner9g,
i'd say you or any other poster here knows more about the matinence of an XR650L than 99% of the bike shops.i bought my second one in late 94. shimming the needle with a washer from Radio Shack was just making the rounds back then. i took my bike to the oldest Honda motorcycle dealership here in st louis to have them to re-jet and shim the needle (i din't work on my own stuff back then). when i handed them the washer and told them to slide it over the needle while they had the carb apart, they looked at me like i had two heads.
i learned two things that day. i needed to start doing my own work,and find a group of dedicated, experienced riders/owners/mechanics for whatever i happen to be riding and wrenching on at the time for answers to my questions.

see ya on the road skag.....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com