4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Chinese 4S Dirt Bike, Scooter & ATV Forums
 Chinese 4-Stroke - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 How to set engine timing on Baja 90
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snowman123
Vancouver, BC

snowman123 has no Avatar

Canada
8 Posts

Topic started on 08/09/2006 at 8:50:56 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to take apart the engine to replace the trans shafts and sprockets and need to know where the timing marks are. timing chain and sprockets had to come off too. Got a service manual from baja but it does not cover timing? any help would be great>> Thanks

Baja 90

Samuel
Phoenix, AZ

Samuel has no Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Posted on 08/10/2006 at 06:35:54 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
first find top dead center compression, to do this turn the engine over until you can see the T mark line up with the timing mark on the left crankcase cover. Check to see if your valves are under tension, if so then turn the engine over 360 degrees, now you will be at TDCC. Now then, you can set the cam timing... this is easy. You will see a timing mark on the sproket itself and at the top of the head in the same location as the camshaft or there about. Ta-Da timing is set!

Baja Motorsports Employee

Smokin101
Panama City, FL

Smokin101 has no Avatar

USA
333 Posts

Posted on 08/10/2006 at 1:28:47 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote a tutorial for someone a week ago, look for the post about the timing for the 72cc bike. It may not be exactly the same as the 90, but should serve as a good guide for you. It explains 4 stroke theory and timing, pretty much all the info you need to fix the timing and valves and such. Timing is set the same way each of these little OverHeadCam engines. Also if you have issues with the timing after putting it back together, you can check one of the other posts of mine explaining how to fix timing if you do it wrong. Can't remember the name of the topic but it should be easy to find. Hope this helps.

Pit Bikes

snowman123
Vancouver, BC

snowman123 has no Avatar

Canada
8 Posts

Posted on 08/10/2006 at 6:54:49 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I found the timing mark on the cam sprocket but not the crank. will keep looking --Cheers

Baja 90

snowman123
Vancouver, BC

snowman123 has no Avatar

Canada
8 Posts

Posted on 08/10/2006 at 7:26:25 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
found the marks on the head, the sprocket, and the flywheel, now comes the stupid question! where is the mark on the left crank cover? you guys have been very helpfull- thanks a bunch--Cheers

Baja 90

Samuel
Phoenix, AZ

Samuel has no Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Posted on 08/11/2006 at 07:06:39 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
its a small notch out of the crank case.

snowman123
Vancouver, BC

snowman123 has no Avatar

Canada
8 Posts

Posted on 08/11/2006 at 7:54:57 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I found the mark on the crank cover, Its square and sticks out 1/4 of an inch? is this right. There are no nocthes in the cover so this must be it??
I`m still waiting for the crank parts, from what I've read Baja has a problem with shipping . They keep telling me the parts are in recivership but cant tell me when they will ship. 4 weeks now and I still get the same answer?

Baja 90

kbd
Chattanooga, TN

kbd has no Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Posted on 08/14/2006 at 10:51:24 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the notch is on the crank case not on the flywheel cover. My Flywheel has a T and F on it, the T is what you line up with the notch on the case.

Baja 90

snowman123
Vancouver, BC

snowman123 has no Avatar

Canada
8 Posts

Posted on 08/14/2006 at 6:48:21 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good!! Thanks so much--Cheers

Baja 90

Samuel
Phoenix, AZ

Samuel has no Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Posted on 08/18/2006 at 1:43:37 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
as for the shipping problem... the customer service end of the company say things are here that arn't. alot of our shipments are still in dock in china, been waiting for them for at least a month.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com