4Strokes.com
Baja DR50 Help on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Chinese 4S Dirt Bike, Scooter & ATV Forums
 Chinese 4-Stroke - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 Baja DR50 Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom1762
Baja DR50

tom1762 has no Avatar

10 Posts

Topic started on 12/26/2006 at 3:45:28 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a used Baja 50cc for my son and need assistance with a couple of issues. First of all, it seems that the bike has excessive smoking from the exhaust. I've changed the oil and made sure we were using gas only rather than pre-mix. Am I about to learn how to do a rebuild or is there anything else that would be causing the smoke? Secondly, the first thing I had to do was replace a broken fuel line coming from the bottom of the carb. Seeing how this line just hangs, I'm thinking it is to run off excessive fuel when the engine is shut off. True? Lastly, the bike is obviously in need of an exhaust pipe gasket, because it has none, and I wonder if I could simply go pick one up at a lawn mower shop or do I need to order one directly from Baja Motorsports?

Sorry to sound naive, but I've always been a "car guy" myself and entering into new territory to satisfy was son's need for motoring!

Smokin101
Panama City, FL

Smokin101 has no Avatar

USA
333 Posts

Posted on 12/27/2006 at 02:32:43 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, lets see, 1st the smoking, since it's used, yeah you're probably about to learn how to do that. 2nd the fuel line you replaced on the carb, is the overflow for the carb, and yes it just hangs there. Lastly the exhaust gasket..... well you're going to have to put more detail as to where on the exhaust, as the entire thing is basically only 3 parts. Pipe, bracket, and silencer. Less you get technical and count the baffle in the silencer. There is no gasket per-say, it is made onto the end of the pipe where it bolts to the head. If the bikes sounds loud around the head then maybe the header bolts on the exhaust are loose or possibly even bent. Causing the exhaust and head not to seat properly together. If you want parts, go to your local honda shop, or search ebay or google it. If you want to know what you can put in this motor as in what size/type and all that just read through the forums, those topics are posted literally dozen's of times. Topics on the Baja DR50's,Panterra 50's, Panterra 70's, and even the Baja DR90, and Panterra 90 will put you on the right path as far as parts, and performing the replacement procedures. Hope this helps.

tom1762
Baja DR50

tom1762 has no Avatar

10 Posts

Posted on 12/27/2006 at 6:26:52 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Smokin101, thanks for the response. I guess I'll be waiting for the loss of compression, then venture into a rebuild; from what I've read, a rebuild isn't that difficult and can use Honda CR70 parts. As far as the overflow for the carb, it seems like there is too much overflow and I make sure my son closes the fuel valve when he's parked. You are correct in that the exhaust gasket I'm taking about is where the exhaust pipe assembly connects to the head. Sure seems like there is quite a gap between the pipe and the head; the flange of the pipe just bends when I tried to tighten the bolts. You're right, I guess the pipe and head don't want to seat; I wouldn't have noticed except for the smoke (and small oil drip) where I assumed a gasket should be.

Since my first post, the piece of the exhaust pipe that attaches to the silencer has broke off at the weld so I'm going to have to order a new pipe now anyway. Thus it begins!

ikarus1
Charlotte, NC

USA
158 Posts

Posted on 01/27/2007 at 12:00:01 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't pay alot for a new pipe - the one that is on there is garbage, left over from the 2-stroke version of that bike....

Just buy yourself an XR70 stock pipe on ebay...you may have to drill a bit on the mounting bolt but other than that, it was made for this engine. Mine gave more power all around, sounds better, has a spark arrester, and let me run a smaller 16mm carb for more torque.

An alternative is the cheap pitbike exhaust on ebay...but mine is a kids/trainer bike so I needed the heat shielding as the old pipe burnt my son pretty badly...

Yamaha TTR125
Baja DR50
Baja WD50 ATV

tom1762
Baja DR50

tom1762 has no Avatar

10 Posts

Posted on 01/27/2007 at 08:04:11 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I've already replaced the silencer, then pulled the junk air filter canister and replaced with new filter. Problem now is the smoking and loss of compression, so I'm pulling the head today to find the broken rings (just to verify what seems to be a pretty consistent problem with similar bikes). I'm also going to do the lift modification and have to order replacement shields that have been trashed (apparently a "friend" of my son's was throwing mud at the bike and cracked the heck out of them). Now I'm wishing I would have paid the $425 for a new bike rather than buying the used, but too late now.

ikarus1
Charlotte, NC

USA
158 Posts

Posted on 01/29/2007 at 09:03:42 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
You would have the same problems eventually regardless of whether new or used. Good thing is hopefully you saved some dough buying used to fix the bike the way it should be from the factory. These bikes have no excuse to be built the way most are: hodge-podge comes to mind.
The engines for the most part are decent (except for the ring goof-up on Baja/Panterras) and make good power. The frames on the DR50 are good if heavy, it's just the attention to detail is not there. So you have to provide that in the way of aftermarket.
The three things that any DR50 needs IMO:

1. new exhaust, at least to the level of a stock CRF70 pipe
2. new airbox or foam air filter to replace the ridiculous stock one
3. new footpeg assembly (cheap ebay ones are better than stock)

with those three things, it can be decent. With a new carb or jetting and some good tires, it could be competitive in the stock pitbike classes. With a big bore kit, it could win alot of races

Yamaha TTR125
Baja DR50
Baja WD50 ATV
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com