4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
2003 CRF150F valve adjustment procedure on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CRF Forums
 Honda CRF - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 2003 CRF150F valve adjustment procedure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncleford
Bellevue, NE

Uncleford has no Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Topic started on 02/19/2007 at 4:24:10 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the search button but came up empty. What is the procedure for adjusting the valves on an 03' CRF150F? The manual calls for .004 intake and exhaust. Thanks for the help!

07 Eiger 400 4X4, 02 Honda 400 EX, 03 Honda CRF150F, 05 Honda CRF50F

hummercat1
Woodlawn, TN

hummercat1 has no Avatar

USA
155 Posts

Posted on 02/25/2007 at 5:16:41 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a 100% sure but I think that is right. Just put the motor on Top Dead Center and adjust the valves.

02 XR400R
03 Warrior 350

Uncleford
Bellevue, NE

Uncleford has no Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Posted on 02/25/2007 at 9:26:49 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
well,I meant to post it up that I figured it out already but for someone else that needs to do it here goes.

1) Pull the spark plug out
2) Get on the compression stroke
3) Spin crank over until you see the hash marks. About an inch later "F"(Fire) comes up then very quickly "T"(guessing TDC)
4) Stop on "F" at this point if you go past the mark you need to spin it over again to get it right. Don't back up. It's easier if you have a way to hold in place or another person.
5) Pull the head caps off (if you haven't already)
6) Get a .004 feeler gauge and check the intake and exhaust valves.
there should be a slight drag on the thin gauge. If not...
7) Take a 10mm wrench and loosen the nut on top of the valve. Adjust the small square (for lack of a better word) up or down to get the proper adjustment)Once there then tighten the 10mm nut.
8) After both are done spin it over re-check your work
9) Put it back together.

Hope this helps someone. Before I did this to my daughters bike (03 CRF 150F)it was very cold natured. Now after adjusting the valves it will start 1st or 2nd kick in 20 degree weather.

b_king
Oakville, ON

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted on 02/26/2007 at 6:22:22 PM  Member Profile  Click to see b_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You shouldn't adjust the valves on the "F" mark. The "F" signifies when the spark plug fires. You should adjust the valves on the "T" mark, for TDC, you are correct Uncleford.

The piston will actually be slightly down from TDC when the spark plug fires. This is because the most compression is available as the piston travels upwards on the compression stroke. So if you adjust the valves on the fire mark, they might be slightly off throughout the entire cycle of the engine.

Good luck!

08 KLX450R

Uncleford
Bellevue, NE

Uncleford has no Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Posted on 02/26/2007 at 7:17:10 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
AArrrg, my bad. Good catch. I read over it before I posted and still didn't catch that. yes, adjust your valves on the "T" not the "F"

(Just as a side note...if you adjust your valves on the F mark your exhaust will be about .002 tight)

b_king
Oakville, ON

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted on 02/26/2007 at 9:02:05 PM  Member Profile  Click to see b_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't worry Uncleford, it happens to the best of us. Keep up the detailed posts though. Like Admin said, it's nice to see people taking the time to thoroughly explain things for beginners, it helps quite a bit.

On a side note as well, I was just curious if .004" is what the manual calls for both the intake and exhaust. Typically in any engine the exhaust is slightly looser, by about .002-.003" because of the added heat of the exhaust gases and heat expansion.

08 KLX450R

Uncleford
Bellevue, NE

Uncleford has no Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Posted on 02/26/2007 at 9:58:37 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, that's what the manual called for. I was a little surprised myself.

sgtshultz
CRF150F

sgtshultz has no Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Posted on 01/03/2008 at 7:37:18 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, what is the compression stroke and how do you know you are on it please?

Uncleford
Bellevue, NE

Uncleford has no Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Posted on 01/03/2008 at 9:20:18 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
You would take the spark plug out, stick your finger in the spark plug hole, turn the engine over by hand (I used a socket and ratchet) and you will begin to feel the compression push your finger out. As it does watch where the timing points are and try to creep up on it slowly. If you go past the compression stroke your finger will be pulled inward toward the spark plug hole. if so, continue to rotate the engine over until you get it right. Hope this helps and good luck.

skikman
Edinburgh

skikman has no Avatar

Ireland
6 Posts

Posted on 02/23/2011 at 4:56:09 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b_king

Don't worry Uncleford, it happens to the best of us. Keep up the detailed posts though. Like Admin said, it's nice to see people taking the time to thoroughly explain things for beginners, it helps quite a bit.

On a side note as well, I was just curious if .004" is what the manual calls for both the intake and exhaust. Typically in any engine the exhaust is slightly looser, by about .002-.003" because of the added heat of the exhaust gases and heat expansion.

strange my crf 150r gives intake 0.16mm or .006in and exhaust 0.26mm or .010in

CRF150R Scrambler

Jeff_in_rc
Ridgecrest, CA

USA
234 Posts

Posted on 02/24/2011 at 07:42:13 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Another way to make sure you are at the correct TDC is to try to wiggle the rockers on the valves and to look at them and make sure they are not pushing down the valves. On a 4 stroke you have 2 points of TDC and you have to make sure the valves are closed to be at the correct TDC for setting the clearence.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2013 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page