4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
How much oil? (XR650L) on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 XR650L NX650 FMX650 - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 How much oil? (XR650L)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old dog
Yellowknife

Canada
299 Posts

Topic started on 04/28/2007 at 12:44:26 AM  Member Profile  Visit Old dog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just did my first oil change (had the Honda certified Dealer do the "break-in" first change). My honda Owner's manual says "total oil capacity including filter change" is 1.95 Liters. When I did mine it took (with oil filter change) 3.0 Liters. What I'm wondering is, does the Honda owner's manual include what the frame holds or is it just what the crank capicity is?

Thanks for your replies!

06 XR650L - 4.7 Clarke tank, Tusk gas cap, Big Gun Evo-X muffler, FMF PB header, UNI filter, de-smogged, Moose s/s x-wide pegs, Kouba link, BD LED tail light, Maier rear fender, dual headlights, Buell lightning bug screen, SuperBrace, Acerbis Rally Pro handguards, Dirstskins fork seal protectors, Steahl bash plate, XRs Only case saver, Corbin seat, custom high riser, K&N crankcase breather, Sudco 41mm FCR carb w/Motion Pro cables & throttle, East Coast & Sumo wheels, Acerbis Supermoto front fender, MSR rear shark fin, Scotts Damper.
- Donated to the support of 4Strokes.com

GlennF
Newbury, OH

USA
501 Posts

Posted on 04/28/2007 at 07:34:44 AM  Member Profile  Visit GlennF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You probably just overfilled the bike. That is a dry sump system which means the crankcase does not normally retain any oil, and you will probably blow the excess out.

05 XT225 - Dunlop 606 front, Kenda 760 rear, Promoto Billet rack, fuel screw 3 turns out, 130 main, 42.5 pilot, Z1 exhaust mod, 1/2 snorkel, UNI filter, Bill's footpegs.

ALS650L
Cabot, VT

USA
258 Posts

Posted on 04/28/2007 at 08:17:01 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
When I change the oil in my 650L I always put in 2-2.25 quarts. No more no less. The whole dipstick reading situation on those is kind of funny to me, but I figure if I am putting in the specified amount it is fine. The only reason you would need more would be if you had installed an oil cooler of some sort. With that much extra oil in it you will cause some blow by problems for yourself and get oil in your airbox.

'06 XR650L - FMF Q2, FMF PowerBomb Header, XR's Only Temp Dip Stick, Xr's smog block off, XR's Case Saver, Daves Mods 55/158 2.25 turns, UNI Filter, ProTaper Contour bars, Black Maier Mx Fender, BD TailLight, Acerbis XR400 front Fender black, Acerbis Uniko Hand Guards Black, Continental TKC80 tires, and thats how it begins...

Old dog
Yellowknife

Canada
299 Posts

Posted on 04/28/2007 at 3:00:33 PM  Member Profile  Visit Old dog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, no blow by going on that I can see. With 1.95 liters in, I let it run for 5 minutes, then checked the level, it didn't even register on the dipstick. I kept adding until I brought it up to the "Upper Level" mark. I also noticed that when I drained the oil to change it there was right around 3 Liters that came out.

06 XR650L - 4.7 Clarke tank, Tusk gas cap, Big Gun Evo-X muffler, FMF PB header, UNI filter, de-smogged, Moose s/s x-wide pegs, Kouba link, BD LED tail light, Maier rear fender, dual headlights, Buell lightning bug screen, SuperBrace, Acerbis Rally Pro handguards, Dirstskins fork seal protectors, Steahl bash plate, XRs Only case saver, Corbin seat, custom high riser, K&N crankcase breather, Sudco 41mm FCR carb w/Motion Pro cables & throttle, East Coast & Sumo wheels, Acerbis Supermoto front fender, MSR rear shark fin, Scotts Damper.

b_king
Oakville, ON

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted on 04/29/2007 at 11:52:05 AM  Member Profile  Click to see b_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
With any dry sump engine that has an oil tank you check the oil when the engine is at operating temperature and running. Come back from a ride and stop, let the bike idle for a few seconds. Shut it off, and then start it back up again. Take out the dip stick and put it back in for your measurement. The oil level will start to slowly rise and once it stops rising, that is your oil level.

08 KLX450R

Old dog
Yellowknife

Canada
299 Posts

Posted on 04/29/2007 at 2:21:13 PM  Member Profile  Visit Old dog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Owner's Manual procedure for doing an oil change (with filter) must be incorrect then, because the procedure I followed is exactly how they said to do it.

I've also checked the oil level with the bike running and it's the same (just touching the "Upper Level" mark). The bike runs good, I've taken the air filter out and checked for blow back and don't see any, and the bike isn't smoking.

Very strange.

Old dog
Yellowknife

Canada
299 Posts

Posted on 04/29/2007 at 6:15:10 PM  Member Profile  Visit Old dog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I've figured it out. The 1 Liter descrepency between what the Owner's Manual says and what the bike actually holds is the amount of oil it takes to bring the dipstick level from the "Lower Level" mark to the "Upper Level" mark. When I put the 1.95 Liters in and then ran the bike for 5 minutes and then checked the level on the dipstick it must have been just below the "Lower Level" mark, which is pretty much the bottom of the dipstick. When I added oil to bring it up to the "Upper Level" mark I did it a little bit at a time until it was to the "Upper Level" mark. It took 1 Liter to do this. So it appears that the safety level between Upper and Lower levels on the dipstick is approximately 1 Liter.

showtime45
W Frankfort, IL

showtime45 has no Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Posted on 04/30/2007 at 8:04:24 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2003 is the same way. I put in 3 liters also with no problems. The owners manual is screwy...

03 XR650L, 00 ZG1000, 89 H-D XLH, 79 Vespa P200, 56 Cushman Eagle, 74 Vespa Super 150

cracked junior
Varmintator

USA
1469 Posts

Posted on 04/30/2007 at 9:14:16 PM  Member Profile  Visit cracked junior's Homepage  Send cracked junior a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
one thing to consider on oil level. just idling after cold start may not bring oil to operating temps, engine itself maybe hot but not the oil. like going 65 down the highway or slow trail riding will do. i say this because when oil gets hot. it expands alittle. so you might actualy want the dipstick alittle lower then the full mark.

i know engine oil isnt as bad as some other fluids. but keep this in mind.

my 650l has always taken 2 1/4 qts with oil and oil filter change.

even though this is almost apples to oranges comparison. on water cooled automotive engines. the time it takes for oil to reach operating temps. is about twice as long as the time needed for the thermostat to open. so basicly it takes longer for the oil to get hot compared to other fluids and parts.

05 XR650L - Dave's carb mods, needle shimmed .024, 160/55, ceramic coated headpipe w/welds ground, fmf quiet exh, snorkle & smog junk gone, tkc80 rear tire, chopped xr400 front fender, 15/45 sprockets.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2013 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page