4Strokes.com
Help on CRF250X Clutch on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CRF Forums
 Honda CRF - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 Help on CRF250X Clutch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Twozzie
04 CRF250X

Twozzie has no Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Topic started on 04/28/2007 at 2:34:11 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I've searched the posts and found one or two items relating but would like some expert input. After my last ride where I was running through quite a few basics (extreme clutch use) the clutch won't fully disengage with the clutch pulled all the way in,the engine off, and the bike in first or any gear. I tightened the cable as far as it would go to make sure the clutch in engaging but still the same.
Any ideas?

2004 CRF250X
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

rogersj
Twillingate, Nfd

Canada
861 Posts

Posted on 04/28/2007 at 3:04:00 PM  Member Profile  Visit rogersj's Homepage  Click to see rogersj's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
maybe Ur clutch cable is stretching

07 DR650SE - K&N air filter air box mod, Dynojet kit, DRZ 250 tail light, and supertrapp racing series slip-on exhaust.

Twozzie
04 CRF250X

Twozzie has no Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Posted on 04/28/2007 at 5:29:06 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't seem to be. I tightened it so it will pull at the head as much as possible and still the same. If the engine is running and I drop it into first with the clutch pulled in, it idles perfectly so it is disengaging. My dealer says its nothing to worry about but it wasn't like this last week.
I did remove the rear wheel last week to clean and adjust the chain but surely this wouldn't affect anything? Also added a new skid plate and raised the handlebars bars by 1". The cables still have free play.

2004 CRF250X
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

250f canuck
Super Tuner

Canada
2213 Posts

Posted on 04/28/2007 at 6:45:52 PM  Member Profile  Click to see 250f canuck's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you need to loosen the cable a bit. After a ride that involves a lot of fancy clutch work you need to loosen the cable if you tightened it during the ride. After the ride the clutch will cool down and shrink a little, but the cable will still stay tight if you didn't loosen it. The next time you use the bike the clutch will feel like it isn't engaging like it should, that is the overly tight cable pulling on it just a bit.

If loosening the cable doesn't solve anything than I think you are looking at a new set of clutch plates and maybe springs.

01 WR250F - with lots of goodies

Twozzie
04 CRF250X

Twozzie has no Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Posted on 04/29/2007 at 1:23:19 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I never tightened the cable during the ride but as you suggested I loosened it all the way. Just the same.

Strangely though , when the engine is running,everything works ok,I can put the bike in gear, hold the clutch in and roll the bike manually. I switch the engine off and when I try to roll, it binds.

2004 CRF250X
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Twozzie
04 CRF250X

Twozzie has no Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Posted on 04/30/2007 at 9:41:14 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Well now I feel dumb (not a new experience for me).
Went to my local dealer and compared my 04 to a new 07 and the same thing, hard to push when in first gear, clutch pulled in, engine off.
Swallowed some pride and saved a few hundred bucks in diagnosis.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

2004 CRF250X
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com