4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
1986 XL 600R shuts down at full throttle,backfires on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - All Other Topics
 1986 XL 600R shuts down at full throttle,backfires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

surveyman59
1986 XL600R

surveyman59 has no Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Topic started on 08/14/2007 at 2:49:52 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased a 1986 XL600R with 11,292 miles. It starts great and runs great until under full throttle in any gear. It cuts out and backfires as if lean or running out of gas. I kind of thought it would work it's way out due to not being ran in a while but not. I really like the bike and want to keep it after reading from others in this forum. It cuts out so quick and abrupt it makes your body lunge forward. It is kind of hard to predict when it will kick in doing this because it runs so smooth and powerful before that happens. Anybody have any clues? Any assistance will be much appreciated. I am new to all of this and forums so please bare with me,thanks to all.I also have a 1984 XL350R but it is fine and I just love the XL series, even if the bikes I have are 20yrs. old, their paid for.

Reggie
Auckland, NZ

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted on 08/14/2007 at 11:42:33 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Gidday,Welcome aboard.I like your "even if the bikes I have are 20yrs. old, their paid for" bit.Your like me.I find it hard to justify spending massive wads of cash on a vehicle that depreciates by half as soon as you take it from the showroom floor.About your problem,,Truth is I don't really know but as well as giving the carbs a bit of a clean out I'd be checking the Ignition Coil/Plug/Plug lead.A faulty Coil can cause problems like yours if its defective and when under load.Sounds like a good bike with pretty low kms for its year.Someone will add more no doubt.

1989 XR600 Running an XL600 bore and piston,,CRF250-X Muffler.

Weezy
Tucson, AZ

USA
111 Posts

Posted on 08/15/2007 at 03:49:51 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome surveyman! I've also had the cutting out problem at times, is this happening from gradual roll on to full power or quicker throttle actions? Mine only does this when I whack the throttle to the stop from almost closed instead of rolling it on. From what I've read on this forum that's somewhat to be expected.

86 XL600R

surveyman59
1986 XL600R

USA
5 Posts

Posted on 08/15/2007 at 05:42:43 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the input. It seems to happen at quick full throttle. I can feather it to higher speeds with care but it still stutters and it is hard to get it up to 70MPH with out trying to shut down and backfire. But please do not get me wrong it still has pretty good acceleration to a point. I will go into the carbs to see if any buildup is visible. I will also check the coil/plug/plug lead. Thanks for the welcome to the forums. I think this is awesome, in the fact of being able to consult with others across the globe on any bike matters. I just remember as others do the in the 70's and 80's not having any access as this except your inner circle of friends to ask.Again much thanks for the welcome, I'll get back on this matter.

b_king
Oakville, ON

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted on 08/15/2007 at 06:02:36 AM  Member Profile  Click to see b_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you sure it is not the engine hitting the rev limiter, but that will cause the exact same symptoms as you just described.

08 KLX450R

surveyman59
1986 XL600R

USA
5 Posts

Posted on 08/15/2007 at 11:54:19 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I've have been told the rev limiter could be kicking in by friends too. But owning a 1984 XL350R no such symptoms have appeared as far as the rev limiter. I have revved the you know what out of it. I will go into the things suggested though and keep plugging away until it is solved or I will keep being pesky, and inquiring here. But once again thanks for the help, so much. None of my friends have been around to ride yet to give me any ideas.

surveyman59
1986 XL600R

USA
5 Posts

Posted on 08/23/2007 at 3:19:44 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all again for the help, just wanted to let everybody know, I do appreciate the assistance. Think I got it whooped, dirty secondary carb at jets and some varnish buildup. It is definitely getting better thanks to you folks, awesome.

Bibleman
Brick, NJ

Bibleman has no Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Posted on 08/30/2007 at 8:21:16 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Try running some Seafoam through, maybe a couple of tanks. It's the best stuff I've come across.

07 XR650L

Jlutty650L
Springfield, MO

USA
554 Posts

Posted on 09/03/2007 at 6:02:03 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
That secondary carb not getting enough fuel will do that. The jet is clogged?

04 XR650L

Andy0113
XL600R

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted on 09/04/2007 at 8:41:53 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the exact same problem with my XL600R but i still havn't found whats wrong with it yet

surveyman59
1986 XL600R

USA
5 Posts

Posted on 09/11/2007 at 2:56:13 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for all of the tips. I have been slowly working on getting 2nd carb cleaned and reinstalled. It is so hot here in NC it has been tough to get time, what with regular job too, and no good working area except in the elements. I agree though fully with you Jlutty650L.Hey Bibleman I will try that too. I haven't heard of that,any suggestions on where to purchase?? Again this forum is awesome, where else can you get info free and from others with same bikes and problems, thanks to all.

bobkot
Cape Town

South Africa
12 Posts

Posted on 10/16/2007 at 12:53:05 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem 87 - XL600R. Ticking along at low revs, and then open throttle the bike just chokes for a second, and then takes off like a scalded cat. As described above it throws you forward, locks up and stalls in minimal traction circumstances and does nothing to enhance the joy of riding! My Honda guru tells me this is a feature of the twin carbs on this bike, and that one never really cures it. Can someone tell me otherwise? I am at sea level, but clueless about the jets in the carb.Planning an upgrade soon on the exhaust and maybe getting a fancy piston and gas porting done.
And amen to twenty years on and still running, and paid for.I had midlife crisis at 40 and bought another thumper.

87 XL600R: Supertrapp exhaust
It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so very ingenious.

Weezy
Tucson, AZ

USA
111 Posts

Posted on 10/17/2007 at 04:26:07 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
bobkot, yes, I will tell you otherwise,,,to a point. Mine did the "cough and lunge" much worse before I gave my carbs a thorough cleaning. Cleaning them and turning out the pilot screw a turn or so did wonders for mine and helped a lot with starting too. Even so, while puttering along at 1/4 throttle, a quick, hard turn to full throttle will still produce a stutter. On the plus side, it doesn't spit me off the back when I grab too much throttle too quickly

86 XL600R

bobkot
Cape Town

South Africa
12 Posts

Posted on 10/18/2007 at 11:37:10 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
So Weezy, or anybody : what do we think of the supertrapp (old 3" Cone shape - like an icecream). I had one on my XT500G that made it bearable, and kinda want to get one for this bike. Costs about R2000.00 to import one in our currency, which would probably be about $400 factoring in exchange rate and Cost of Living here in South Africa. I have stock standard exhaust on, sounds crap and feels like its restrictive on exhaust flow, compared to my 25 year old memories of a supertrapp - made the XT feel like you had released the brake! Is it worth it or are there better options. Think one can pick up a used one on ebay for less?

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so very ingenious.

Weezy
Tucson, AZ

USA
111 Posts

Posted on 10/18/2007 at 6:17:51 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any experience with that pipe, I got a Supertrapp IDS2 off fleabay that was actually listed for an '86 XR600 but works on mine just fine. It was about $200, and sounds much better that stock, but feels like it only gains a little power. Rejetting might help, but it runs good and looks and sounds great, so I'm happy with it.

86 XL600R

bobkot
Cape Town

South Africa
12 Posts

Posted on 10/19/2007 at 01:45:04 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I mailed jc_motors on fleabay about a Supertrapp (Not the IDS2), but the 'open' one, but nobody can tell me whether a supertrapp for an XR is suitable (or will fit) on an XL600R.
On standard sprocket configuration, what would be a suitable cruising speed for the engine on this bike on paved surface, without cooking it too hot for too long.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page