4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
1987 XL600R a Little Hesitation (UpDate Fixed) on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 1987 XL600R a Little Hesitation (UpDate Fixed)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HTP420
87 XL600R

USA
14 Posts

Topic started on 08/15/2007 at 3:00:46 PM  Member Profile  Visit HTP420's Homepage  Send HTP420 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
At Idle if you would punch the gas it falls on its face, Riding it does not do that, What could it be?
I have put a new set of carbs on it,all stock jetting, followed the Clymer Book exact. Adjusted the valves, I run premium fuel in it, Just turned 4000 miles, all original. The spark plug looks perfect, nice clean burn, It starts First Kick Everytime, no smoke

HTP

Admin
4Strokes.com

USA
7834 Posts

Posted on 08/15/2007 at 4:17:13 PM  Member Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Moved to XL power-train related forum.

Forum How-To's | Forum FAQs | Forum Policies

HTP420
87 XL600R

USA
14 Posts

Posted on 08/16/2007 at 06:31:44 AM  Member Profile  Visit HTP420's Homepage  Send HTP420 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention I used New Carb Kits

HTP

stevea661
California

USA
47 Posts

Posted on 08/16/2007 at 10:51:43 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a fuel/air problem. Did it do the same thing before you got into the carbs? My 85 xl600r had a bad flat spot when I wacked the throttle. It turned out to be, the previous owner routed the vacume line from the top of the primary carb, left side as you are sitting on the bike, into the plastic vacume 90 located on the side right side of the secondary carb, located on the right side as you are sitting on the bike. When I would wack the throttle it would bogg before it took off. After cleaning carbs, rejetting, checking for vacume leaks, etc, I figured it out. I routed the vacume lines up under the seat with breathers on the end. Problem solved. This is not how the vacume diagram routed them, but it worked. There is or should be a vacume routing diagram inside one of the side panels. Check this, how it should be, against how it is. On a 20 year old bike you never know what the prior owners have done. The other thing that was wrong was that the bowls were reversed. The idle fuel adjuster screw had no effect on the idle, but the bike idled well. The bowl for the primary has a small brass oriface pressed into the front right side. Good luck, hope this might help.

85 xl600r, 97 cbr900rr, 00 st1100, 03 yz250, 04 r1

HTP420
87 XL600R

USA
14 Posts

Posted on 08/16/2007 at 11:54:31 AM  Member Profile  Visit HTP420's Homepage  Send HTP420 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This Bike is getting VERY Irratating,In gear runs perfect,1st gear wheely,2nd gear wheely,3rd gear wheely,but Idle in Neutral fast gas it shuts off.The bike Is ALL stock-NO MODS
Almost ready to send it down the road

HTP

HTP420
87 XL600R

USA
14 Posts

Posted on 08/16/2007 at 12:04:11 PM  Member Profile  Visit HTP420's Homepage  Send HTP420 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info,but no it did not do that before the new carbs,and yes it does have a diagram,the old carbs would not crack a wheely in 2,only first but no hesitation,I had a air problem with the 1 set,the top gasket on the carb was improperly installed,thus sucking air,in the proccess of taking them off I broke the carbs,{where they connect together}but jerry rigged them till I found a new set,they worked well.The New set was slightly different,Only the bowl gasket was different,and they did not have the vacume lines either
Update,went threw the vac.lines that are left could not find a prob.the other carbs I got from a Flat Track buddy,and were dipped before I got them,and the Jets I have Found to be different But I cannot get a Difference out of either set of them.
I also checked the air-filter and it looks New,minimal oil on it

HTP

HTP420
87 XL600R

USA
14 Posts

Posted on 08/16/2007 at 2:19:55 PM  Member Profile  Visit HTP420's Homepage  Send HTP420 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK,I seem to have tracked the problem to possibly the secondary carb,I noticed that you can tell when the second carb is engaged by the twist throttle,so If you just hit the first carb it rev's fine,slam the second it shuts down,roll into it's fine.
Their is no irratic idle or funny sounds
The orginal jetting that I took from the orginal carbs are as fllows
Primary Carb Main Jet #125 Slow Jet #62
Secondary Carb Main Jet #118

The New Set Is as Follows
Primary Carb #115 Slow Jet #55
Secondary Carb #112
I currently have the original Jets In the Neew Carbs

HTP

stevea661
California

USA
47 Posts

Posted on 08/16/2007 at 7:10:17 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
The original jetting on mine was 118 primary, 115 secondary, and 65 slow. I changed to 120, 118, and 65, it ran fine like that stock. It also runs fine with that jetting with the super trap mid pipe and slip on with 8 discs. You can adjust where the secondary comes in by bending the tab on the the linkage where it engages the secondary. Mine acted the same way as yours. It didn't bogg until the secondary hit and then only if you wacked it, if you rolled it on it was ok. It could be the main on the secondary is restricted in the small side holes. It still sounds like a fuel air problem on the mid circuit. Try removing the 2 mains, put your finger over the top, stick the tube from spay carb cleaner into the bottom ( if it's too big around adjust outside diameter on a bench sander while rotating the tube) and spray. The carb cleaner should come out pretty evenly from all the side holes. If it doesn't you can clean the holes with a really small needle. It won't go all the way through so don't force it but the tip should go through. Try spraying again and see if the spray pattern out the holes is any better. The taper of the needle as it goes up and down through the main from just off idle to just before wot is what controls the mid circuit. If the cleaning doesn't work I would try larger jets . They are pretty cheap but it just takes time . You could also try shimming the needle. You might try checking for vacuum leaks first with propane. If you loose the hesitation with the propane you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Yea try the propane first, that's the easiest. Good Luck.

HTP420
87 XL600R

USA
14 Posts

Posted on 08/16/2007 at 10:03:42 PM  Member Profile  Visit HTP420's Homepage  Send HTP420 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks For the info.I will check those holes,I Have the carbs off the bike at the moment so that's pretty easy to check,But what do you meen by propane? I have not heard of that,and how does it work?
Thanks Again

HTP

stevea661
California

USA
47 Posts

Posted on 08/16/2007 at 10:39:45 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
You take a propane torch. Unscrew the tip. Slip a piece of hose over the part where the tip screws onto. Slip one end of an 8" piece of copper tube into the other end, about an inch. Start the bike, hold the open end of the copper tube where you might think you have a vacuum leak. Turn on the propane, not too much though and wack the throttle. If there is no hesitation the engine is sucking and burning the propane. You can do the same thing with carb cleaner or wd40 but it makes a mess. Propane is flammable and invisible so be careful.

HTP420
87 XL600R

USA
14 Posts

Posted on 08/17/2007 at 12:35:49 AM  Member Profile  Visit HTP420's Homepage  Send HTP420 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Checked The Holes on the main jet tube,it was Perfectly clean,HowEver
went back to the valves,they were fine but when I pulled the spark plug to rotate the engine,It Was Black
The Bike does not smoke or use oil
By the Way that sounds Like A cool trick I may try that
Thanks again

HTP

HTP420
87 XL600R

USA
14 Posts

Posted on 08/17/2007 at 1:14:35 PM  Member Profile  Visit HTP420's Homepage  Send HTP420 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Water In the GAS
Problem SOLVED
I would like to thank everyone that took the time to reply to my bike's problem,Thanks For all the great Information

HTP
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2013 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page