4Strokes.com
How tight should the chain be? on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CRF Forums
 Honda CRF - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 How tight should the chain be?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjipilot27
06 CRF230F

USA
55 Posts

Topic started on 08/18/2007 at 09:03:20 AM  Member Profile  Visit mjipilot27's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i just tightened my chain up on my crf 230 and iam not sure if its too tight . is it good for a chain to be tight?? Will it stretch back out again after several times riding ? Will popping the cluch stretch it ? thanks guys

2006 CRF 230F electric start
1998 KX 250 Fatty pip with Powercore II silencer

rogersj
Twillingate, Nfd

Canada
861 Posts

Posted on 08/18/2007 at 09:29:00 AM  Member Profile  Visit rogersj's Homepage  Click to see rogersj's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
on my ttr 225 i had lots of problems with my chain if i had it too tight it would come off and too slack it would come off the reason for that is because i had it way too tight one day and plied one of my sprockets. and yes popping the clutch will stretch it. i think it should be half inch slack? im not sure if u got a after market chain like a poopy one it will stretch after a 3 or four times of riding like mine done. but if u have the stock chain that came with the bike i don`t think u will need to tighten it that much once a week maybe

07 DR650SE - K&N air filter air box mod, Dynojet kit, DRZ 250 tail light, and supertrapp racing series slip-on exhaust.

mjipilot27
06 CRF230F

USA
55 Posts

Posted on 08/18/2007 at 09:51:26 AM  Member Profile  Visit mjipilot27's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bro how about a 2 stroke how often should you adjust the chain bk those bikes rev so god damn high with the rpms . Is the chain just higher quality on the 2 stroke so that you never have to touch it?? do you know? lol ? i want a 2 stroke so bad a nice used cr 125 r hauls ass man ahh i can see my self now going through 1 foot swamplands lol and the biggest damn mudd puddles around . you get through anything with those 2 strokes not everything thanks

2006 CRF 230F electric start
1998 KX 250 Fatty pip with Powercore II silencer

JamesRojek
02 CRF450R

14 Posts

Posted on 09/18/2007 at 09:44:50 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Just my 2 cents. On what I have experienced, most bikes, depending on application, need about 1 inch to 1 3/8 of play up and down. If you are too tight or too loose two things will happen... Your sprockets and chain will wear rapidly and your chain will come off. If it is close and those two things aren't happening, you are problably ok.

2002 CRF450R

b_king
Oakville, ON

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted on 09/18/2007 at 4:27:47 PM  Member Profile  Click to see b_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just because the bike revs high doesn't mean it is making a lot of horsepower. The chain should be adjusted to accommodate your style of riding. If you jump a lot and use the entire travel of the wheel and suspension, you will want the chain on the looser side because as the bikes suspension compresses, the wheel moves farther away and thus there is more tension on the chain. If you ride simply trails and or stuff like that you won't need as much play. I adjust my chain to about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 of slack because I ride pretty much everything.

08 KLX450R

JamesRojek
02 CRF450R

14 Posts

Posted on 09/21/2007 at 11:15:40 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
The service manual says 1 inch to 1.4 inch.

2002 CRF450R
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page