4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
XL600R Cutting out on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - All Other Topics
 XL600R Cutting out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy0113
XL600R

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Topic started on 09/04/2007 at 2:04:27 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey ive just registered here, I have a Honda XL600R (With the RFVC twin carb engine) i saw surveyman's post and i have the exact same problem, when i open up the throttle it just seems to...die, as if theres no fuel or the jets are blocked, ive checked the spark plug and the coil etc.. thats all fine, ive drained the old fuel (its been stood a while) and it has a full tank of new fuel now. I have took the carbs off and cleaned them out, ive cleaned the jets and it still has the same problem, i was wondering if the jets are the right size, does anyone have the carb settings for the XL600R ?

The main Jet for the primary carb is - 122
The main Jet for the secondary carb is - 108

Does anyone know if these are right?

Thanks

xrHondaBob
Yakima, WA

USA
21 Posts

Posted on 09/11/2007 at 12:35:32 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
As per the OEM Honda Manual STOCK 85+ XL600s have pri#118 and 2nd#115. Is your air intake box and exhaust stock or have changes?
1st, check the linkage between the two carbs and their opening as per the manual.
2nd, raise your 2nd jet to either 112 or 115 and see what happens. If it improves or changes the point when the bike cuts out, then its probably your jetting. The main could also be to rich.
3rd, if your problem remains unchanged then its probably something like a coil, cap or another electrical component.
4th, If it is a jetting issue then do a plug chop. Fine a nice back road where you can run over 50mph and use full throttle. While at full throttle, pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch. Coast off the road and remove the spark plug. Look deep into the porcelain resistor and look at its color down at the bottom. Hopefully, its just the jetting to lean or rich.

87 XR277 - WP suspension, 34mm Mikuni, Carrillo rod, extended head fins, ported & polished, and License Plate.
86 XL600R - SuperTrap, 122 & 118 mains with 62 slow jet, two 1" air box holes.

Andy0113
XL600R

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted on 09/13/2007 at 10:56:22 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
The air-intake box and exhaust are both stock there seems to be many different Jet "Sizes" for the XL600R, on another forum some1 has said that the secondary jet should be 68 , which sounds completly wrong to me.

I dont have the manual for the bike as the owner before me has lost it and i am in the process of ordering another.

How do you go about checking the float level and the mixture screw settings ??

HondaSL350
83 XL600R

USA
15 Posts

Posted on 09/13/2007 at 5:16:35 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy0113

Hey ive just registered here, I have a Honda XL600R (With the RFVC twin carb engine) i saw surveyman's post and i have the exact same problem, when i open up the throttle it just seems to...die, as if theres no fuel or the jets are blocked, ive checked the spark plug and the coil etc.. thats all fine, ive drained the old fuel (its been stood a while) and it has a full tank of new fuel now. I have took the carbs off and cleaned them out, ive cleaned the jets and it still has the same problem, i was wondering if the jets are the right size, does anyone have the carb settings for the XL600R ?

The main Jet for the primary carb is - 122
The main Jet for the secondary carb is - 108

Does anyone know if these are right?

Thanks

the manual says for an xl600 1983:
-sea level to 5000 ft
primary 125
secondary 112

also for the xl600 83' above 6500 ft
it says same as standard.

slow jet: 55
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page