4Strokes.com
1982 Honda XR200R adjustments for better control? on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - Suspension & Controls
 1982 Honda XR200R adjustments for better control?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

XRider
82 XR200R

USA
3 Posts

Topic started on 01/02/2008 at 10:05:27 PM  Member Profile  Send XRider an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hello,I recently bought a 1982 Honda XR200R that I saw on the side of the road for a good price. It runs very good,has plenty of power but when I ride it,the bike feels awkward,stiff,hard to turn and control. Its not my first bike and I've never had any control problems from the others so I don't know alot about how to tune and adjust the suspension or forks. If anyone could help me out id be very grateful,im ready to ride it for all its got. I would appreciate any suggestions on why it may be like this and/or what to do to make it better.

some things that I think could be off
suspension too stiff-----I dont weigh that much so that may be a factor
front wheel seems a little too big

Thank you in advance for any help! Ill give more info if needed to assist.

1982 XR200R

Jschick
XR200R, CRF50F

Jschick has no Avatar

28 Posts

Posted on 01/03/2008 at 12:57:05 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
the front tire is large, and the front forks really are not adjustable, but the springs might have been replaces with stiffer ones by the past owner. the rear shock might be adjustable, or not, first take a look and see if it has a external canister attached by a hose, or just a shock and spring. when you sit on the bike, how much does the rear sag? it should sag about 4-5 inches when you sit on the bike, if not loosen the rear spring, by loosening the 2 lock nuts on top the spring. I use a screw driver and a hammer to turn them! also when you sit on the bike hold the front brake and push on the handle bars how much can you compress the forks? you might want to change the fork oil and use auto tranny fluid which is what I run in my 02 Xr, I weigh about 160lb and it's about right for the front end. if your rear shock has the external canister then their is a adjustment knob for rebound you can adjust,if not all you have is spring. when you bounce on the bike does the rear shock spring back quickly (pogo) or does the shock work properly returns softly? it is quite common for the rear shocks to be toast, if so get a Xr or xl shock that has the canister from ebay ($40-70)

2002 XR200R
2004 CRF50F (son's bike)

XRider
82 XR200R

USA
3 Posts

Posted on 01/03/2008 at 8:47:32 PM  Member Profile  Send XRider an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your reply Jschick,that helps alot ,Im pretty sure the rear doesn't sag 4-5 inches when I sit on it,feels like one inch maybe :P and the front shocks about the same probably,I dont remember seeing external canisters on it just shock and spring. Its freezing cold outside tonight so ill have to check and adjust all that stuff tomorrow (cant wait) I think itll make a big difference

1982 XR200R

Jschick
XR200R, CRF50F

Jschick has no Avatar

28 Posts

Posted on 01/11/2008 at 08:35:58 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
my front probalby sags about 1-2 inches, but I can hold the brack and push forward and drop it 4 inches, nice and smooth with good rebound. I would highly recomend changing the fork oil since you just got the bike, I used Auto ATF fluid which was recomended to me and It seems perfect for me. as for the rear loosen up the spring and see if it helps, their are also some cheap shocks on ebay now for under $25 I got one from a XL with a canister works great a huge improvement. but my stock shock was bone dry so it was like a pogo stick. the XR generally has a very soft suspension which most complain about so most likly you can loosen it up.

2002 XR200R
2004 CRF50F (son's bike)

XRider
82 XR200R

USA
3 Posts

Posted on 01/12/2008 at 03:48:33 AM  Member Profile  Send XRider an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been able to work on it much because of the weather lately but I was testing it out more and noticed the rear shocks sag about 2-3 inches when I sit on it hard and it feels like it drops those first 2-3 inches too easily then gets alot stiffer. I also found a cannister on it but I couldnt find a knob to adjust it just some kind of nuts around the top where the hose connects. I have a tool for the lock nuts on the spring so ill adjust it and see how it feels.My front forks are even worse,when I hold the front brake and push I only get about 2inches sag maybe an oil change will help that though if not ill just get new ones.

1982 XR200R
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com