4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
dont tell me no one has ever uncorked an xl600... on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 dont tell me no one has ever uncorked an xl600...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scotttco62
XR650L, XL600R

scotttco62 has no Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Topic started on 04/28/2008 at 10:14:09 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
OK....you guys are letting me down...I put money on the fact that some one here would have some experience with uncorking,de-smogging, smog removal or maybe you called it"ripping that smog crap off" however you word it!. I swore to a buddy you guys always have an answer..(and usually a correct one) but after posting here and at another site as well, im having to cough up twenty bucks and a 12 pack. Tell me it was a mistake,someone lost that post or something equally as unlikely. Hasnt ANYONE EVER removed the smog crap off a xl 600 r(86 to be exact) and if so what got blocked and what didnt and any info....Id rather give YOU the 20 spot and a 12er...And i will! Save face for me (as well as this forum)
...there must have been thousands of those bikes out there! dont tell me everyone kept them all "PC"and "GREEN" back then.

1994 XR650L
1986 XL600R

Reggie
Auckland, NZ

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted on 04/28/2008 at 11:34:38 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
What smog crap.The 86 XL600 I have doesn't have any.We are supposed to be a slightly green country but none of the bikes over here came with any anti-smog gear during those days,besides which we have the roaring forties which sends the smog off to Cape Horn where the Argentinian's get to deal with it.They have a canister on the engine breather that can be ripped off and replaced with a bit of hose if you wish..Thats de=smogging the Kiwi way.

1989 XR600 Running an XL600 bore and piston,,CRF250-X Muffler.

XXL on a XL
Chehalis, WA

USA
215 Posts

Posted on 04/29/2008 at 12:33:13 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, U want it u got it. I am running a 87 xl600r. My motor has been rebuilt, but I would consider it basically stock. Check my signature. Anyway there isnt much smog crap on a xl600r, Just a small charcoal canister, that doesnt affect performance. If u wana step up the power, on a stock xl600 {1986, 87}, slap on a pipe, xr's only, supertrapp, and ect. Then buy a UNI filter, Do not mess with the factory backfire screenm in the air box. Your jets stock should be 118 in the left carb{primary} and 115 in the right{secondary}. Take the 118 and install it in the secondary carb and go get a 120 for the primary. Lastly u'll need to shim the primary carb's needle up .020., w/a washer. Just go to your local bike shop, and ask them if they have any extra shims laying around. Usually jet kits from other bikes have xtra shim washers. Pulling the snorkel on the air box, is your preference, depending on how it runs. That should breathe some power into a stock xl600r. Try the Search Forums Feature, 2 search out my other XL600r Threads. Hope this helps ya. Hammer Down!

87 XL600R - New motor, 11:1 Wiseco piston, oem crank, bearings, head work, valves, mild port, Supertrapp w/FMF headpipe, Uni, jetting, Kings tires f&r.
92 Z50R - 88cc stg3 FastTrails, Plus 1 suspension, fast50's pipe, Baja Designs stator, Hella 500 - Little Loud and Fast!
93 Z50R Bigfoot Trail - 72cc ported big cam big carb, baja designs stator, Hella Light Bar, ECT - Stealthy Fast!

XXL on a XL
Chehalis, WA

USA
215 Posts

Posted on 04/29/2008 at 12:46:37 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh by the way, My mechanic has a piped/jetted 93xr650l, I can pull him all day long on my Old Xl. XL600R 43bhp, stock. XR650l 34bhp, Stock. He gets pissy about that. Sometimes Old stuff will get ya.

87 XL600R - New motor, 11:1 Wiseco piston, oem crank, bearings, head work, valves, mild port, Supertrapp w/FMF headpipe, Uni, jetting, Kings tires f&r.
92 Z50R - 88cc stg3 FastTrails, Plus 1 suspension, fast50's pipe, Baja Designs stator, Hella 500 - Little Loud and Fast!
93 Z50R Bigfoot Trail - 72cc ported big cam big carb, baja designs stator, Hella Light Bar, ECT - Stealthy Fast!

scotttco62
XR650L, XL600R

scotttco62 has no Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Posted on 04/29/2008 at 02:44:16 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew i wouldn't be let down by you guys..to our friend from the land of funny birds...consider yourself lucky,cuz here in California , we've been used to be an example of how much crap can be hung on a bike before it chokes to death.but our endless pursuit for either speed or to just prove we can doit teaches us how to reverse the same process . To our stateside friend, consider yourself luckier than me anyway,here in CA. they found a few more extra tabs for which to hang those cluttering chunks of plastic. We have a pcv and the almighty charcoal canister.As i roll in the knowledge you have bestowed me with thus far, i torment over all the empty nipples and hoses whom have lost there com rads . Do you have any ideas of which get plugged ,rerouted to... or simply ignored.....thanks for all the info thus far,...any Californians have anything to add?

1994 XR650L
1986 XL600R

stevea661
California

USA
47 Posts

Posted on 05/02/2008 at 9:02:20 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
nipple on top of the primary carb and plastic nipple on the side of the secondary carb routed individually up under the seat to breathers, I used small gas filters for breathers and vacume tubing, DO NOT TIE THEM TOGETHER!! your bike will bogg under hard throttle, off idle . That gets rid of the pcv. The charcoal canaster leave on. You can't get a new pipe for the old xls any more but supertrap makes one for the xr. I had to cut off the female threaded peice, rotate the mid pipe and reweld it in order to get the tire to clear the muffler. Jetting is the same as xxl's but I didn't shim the needle. The bike runs great, starts on the second kick when cold and the first kick when warm. Good luck!

85 xl600r, 97 cbr900rr, 00 st1100, 03 yz250, 04 r1

XXL on a XL
Chehalis, WA

USA
215 Posts

Posted on 05/03/2008 at 02:48:17 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Xr's only makes a killer dedicated XL600, pipe and a stainless header. It looks pretty killer. It is readily avalible. Not sure about supertrapp, if they still sell a xl pipe, I have one. They are easily found on ebay and ect. A xr600 pipe will fit, you will just have to fabricate a small bracket to attach it. 1983-1985 xl600r's were jetted diffrently from the factory, because the heads were slightly diffrent" intake/exaust ports are bigger". I believe thats why you shim the needle up.020. This jet/carb setting is directly out of a 1988 DirtRider, 1987xl600r hop up. With my motor setup, I am running a dynojet stage2 jet kit. The other way worked killer before I installed a weisco 11:1 piston.

dawagner
Illinois

dawagner has no Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Posted on 06/14/2008 at 8:13:17 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey quick question for you all, I have a 1983 xl600r and just recently got a xr's only header and exhaust what jetting should I use for this set up?

83 xl600r: uni air filter, kenda 50/50 tires, desnorkled, needle shimmed .025, XR's only header and exhaust.

rsstom
Ohio

rsstom has no Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Posted on 06/15/2008 at 8:19:14 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I removed my canister on my XL, not a California model. All it really does is collect crankcase vapors and route them to the airbox to be burnt in combustion.
BUT, being a big single, the XLs have a tendency to draw a little oil through there too. The vapors and oil route into the airbox directly under the boot for the left carb. That oil will build up on the left intake valve. At least mine did. It looked like the valve seal had been leaking since the 80's!
I installed the crankcase vent hoses from an XR600R. They just dump to the ground. That's green enough for me.

XL600R
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page