4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
How to bypass Key Switch on drz-250 on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Suzuki Four-Stroke 2-Wheel Forums
 Suzuki 4-Stroke - Frame, Body & Electrical
 How to bypass Key Switch on drz-250
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kx_dad
Texas

kx_dad has no Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Topic started on 10/20/2009 at 8:12:05 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there an easy and preferred way to get rid of the key? A simple switch would work for me. Any feed back would be welcomed.

Paul

2006 Suzuki DRZ 250
2006 Harley Ultra

Admin
4Strokes.com

USA
7826 Posts

Posted on 10/21/2009 at 10:19:17 PM  Member Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have a wiring diagram? How many wires are attached to the keyed switch?

Forum How-To's | Forum FAQs | Forum Policies

GlennF
Newbury, OH

USA
502 Posts

Posted on 10/22/2009 at 07:38:06 AM  Member Profile  Visit GlennF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My DRZ has just the two wires.

05 XT225 - Dunlop 606 front, Kenda 760 rear, Promoto Billet rack, fuel screw 3 turns out, 130 main, 42.5 pilot, Z1 exhaust mod, 1/2 snorkel, UNI filter, Bill's footpegs.

Admin
4Strokes.com

USA
7826 Posts

Posted on 10/22/2009 at 09:07:15 AM  Member Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Next, you will need to figure out whether the original keyed switch is normally open or normally closed?

GlennF
Newbury, OH

USA
502 Posts

Posted on 10/22/2009 at 09:41:13 AM  Member Profile  Visit GlennF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is normally open.

05 XT225 - Dunlop 606 front, Kenda 760 rear, Promoto Billet rack, fuel screw 3 turns out, 130 main, 42.5 pilot, Z1 exhaust mod, 1/2 snorkel, UNI filter, Bill's footpegs.

Admin
4Strokes.com

USA
7826 Posts

Posted on 10/22/2009 at 10:30:01 AM  Member Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Then... I would figure out a good place to mount a switch, determine the physical size and configuration of the switch, and then go purchase a Single Pull Single Throw (SPST) On/Off switch. An Amp rating of 3-5 Amps should be sufficient. A Double Pull Single or Double Throw (DPST or DPDT) switch will work also -- sometimes I use a Double and tie the legs together effectively increasing the current rating of the contacts. Then all you need to do is re-route or lengthen and re-route the wiring to the switch. Be sure to solder and shrink-wrap any wire splices.

kx_dad
Texas

kx_dad has no Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Posted on 10/22/2009 at 4:54:08 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool....I was hoping it wouldn't be to complicated. Sounds
easy enough. I do not have a shop service manual for this bike
but would like one. I searched ebay and even the suzuki site
but haven't found one. I only find them for the drz400.

Thanks for the replies.

Paul

2006 Suzuki DRZ 250
2006 Harley Ultra

GlennF
Newbury, OH

USA
502 Posts

Posted on 10/23/2009 at 07:34:09 AM  Member Profile  Visit GlennF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's where I got mine: RepairManual.com

(Removed commercial link and emailed to member. -Admin)

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2013 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page