4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
oil level check xr650l on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 XR650L NX650 FMX650 - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 oil level check xr650l
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kubiak
Madera, CA

USA
5206 Posts

Topic started on 12/02/2009 at 8:54:35 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
i know a lot of people with xrs have trouble with getting a good oil level reading. i did some experimenting this week and came up with this. on my xr 650l if i check my oil level with the bike upright and on level ground and let it idle for a few minutes the reading is always very low but when i recheck it the level reads higher and when i check it at normal temp its over filled. so i warmed up the motor for about five minutes till the oil temp was 100 degrees and the oil level reads a inch and a half low on the dipstick. then i run the motor up to 125 degree oil temp then the oil level is at three quartes of a inch low. now i run the oil up to 150 degrees and the oil is perfect. then recheck the level at 175 degrees and its still perfect then 200 and still perfect. so now if im in a hurry and check the oil at 100 degrees i know im good at a inch and a half low and i know i need to get the oil up to 150 or higher to get the correct oil level. this is how my xr works but you should try your bike to see how it reads since they can be different.hope this helps someone out!

89 XR600R Motard
06 XR650L Motard
06 XT225 wife's bike

HorseRider650
Ohio

USA
589 Posts

Posted on 12/04/2009 at 10:38:38 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks I'll give it a try. Real tired of "using the force" on frame reservoir tanks to check the oil level. Sometimes it easier to get a more accurate reading after the ride.

08 XR650L - Sold

kubiak
Madera, CA

USA
5206 Posts

Posted on 12/04/2009 at 11:01:34 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
yea i was always pretty close to getting the level right but overfilled it sometimes. this way now i think i can be right on!

89 XR600R Motard
06 XR650L Motard
06 XT225 wife's bike

b_king
Oakville, ON

Canada
4566 Posts

Posted on 12/04/2009 at 2:52:07 PM  Member Profile  Click to see b_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I had my XR I would always check it warm and idling after about 30 secs. I've always checked any dry sump engine like this whether the oil be stored in a remote tank or in the frame. Never had a problem with oil level being too high or low, no blow back into the airbox.

08 KLX450R

vivianm
Wellington

New Zealand
300 Posts

Posted on 12/04/2009 at 10:37:54 PM  Member Profile  Visit vivianm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for that.

I'm paranoid with my oil consumption at the moment, as ever since the new rings and re-bore...it uses oil. I also felt that I only got a accurate reading after a long ride (probably cos the engine temp was correct)

I'll let you know

V

KTM 690E 2008 -
KTM foam filter, Leo Vince Muffler, Akra Map, KTM gel seat, Rox Risers, Rally Raid Tank bolts (upper and lower), case saver, oxford heated carbon over grips

98 XR650L - SOLD

kubiak
Madera, CA

USA
5206 Posts

Posted on 12/05/2009 at 4:49:59 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
yea im usually really close but i know the oil is thicker before it gets all the way hot so when you check it too early and shut the motor off there is still a lot of oil in the topend and on the walls of everything which would indicate low oil level since its not thin enough to flow back to the crankcase.when the oil is hot and thin it flows right back to the crankcase way faster so you get a good reading on the dipstick.only thing when i check it hot afetr a ride i let it sit about a minute so the bubbles in the oil go away for a good reading too.

89 XR600R Motard
06 XR650L Motard
06 XT225 wife's bike

vivianm
Wellington

New Zealand
300 Posts

Posted on 12/27/2009 at 4:00:58 PM  Member Profile  Visit vivianm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kubiak...
It would seem that as time goes by, my oil consumption is getting less - just like your bike did. I think the rings are bedding in, and potential oil gaps are filling with crud :-)

and...I think that checking it with the oil being hot gets the best/consistent readings. I'm only checking now once I have done at least 15minutes of proper, heated up running. FAr better

KTM 690E 2008 -
KTM foam filter, Leo Vince Muffler, Akra Map, KTM gel seat, Rox Risers, Rally Raid Tank bolts (upper and lower), case saver, oxford heated carbon over grips

98 XR650L - SOLD

kubiak
Madera, CA

USA
5206 Posts

Posted on 12/27/2009 at 5:13:41 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
yea when i bought the xrl new it used a lot of oil and it smoked on hard deceleration sometimes. it seemed to use less and less oil for the first few thousand miles.now its been using about the same amount the past 40,000 miles.finally wore the stock clutch out last week and putting in a new one.cant wait to try the new clutch with hd springs!

89 XR600R Motard
06 XR650L Motard
06 XT225 wife's bike

kubiak
Madera, CA

USA
5206 Posts

Posted on 12/29/2009 at 2:37:20 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
well tested the new hd clutch today and love it! i guess i got used to the stock one and forgot how nice a performance setup works. never thought my xr could pull up a wheely at 55mph! i had trouble pulling up a wheely in second gear before now it comes right up in third at 55mph with the clutch. hope the transmission holds up!

89 XR600R Motard
06 XR650L Motard
06 XT225 wife's bike

bbultema
Schererville, IL

USA
50 Posts

Posted on 12/30/2009 at 08:15:37 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know that the oil level is all that critical. The inlet for the oil pump is a foot down from the dipstick. When the motor is running the crankcase is supposed to be empty. So at least half of the oil (probably much more) is in the tank. It would have to be way low to starve the pump. I keep mine full, but I don't ever worry about it.

08 XR650L
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page