4Strokes.com
Inverted forks benefit Vs stock XR650L forks? on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 XR650L NX650 FMX650 - Suspension & Controls
 Inverted forks benefit Vs stock XR650L forks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scottrod
Crestline, CA

USA
17 Posts

Topic started on 04/22/2011 at 10:00:23 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious, what is the benefit of inverted forks as opposed to stock XR forks?

07 XR650L, Dave's mods, desmogged, XR's Only muffler, Clarke 4.7, UNI a/f, desnorkeled, rejetted, more mods to come.
86 XR600
07 CRF50F (daughters)
77 XL75

jjones006
Red Bluff, CA

USA
335 Posts

Posted on 04/22/2011 at 2:07:54 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
There isn't a "one" answer to that because it depends on riding preference:the first thing I always hear is that it stiffens up the front end-true it does that but then I have heard people say it's too stiff and are fine with stock of just a added fork brace, I added a fork brace because I hate fork flex but I liked the results of my added fork brace and don't see a need to add upside down forks at this time.
some people say they are lighter then some say they are the same or more, I haven't read about anyone weighing the exact difference and once again it depends on what bike your starting with.
better damping? could be? depends on what forks you have now,on my bike (XR650L) the upside down forks would have better damping, to start with I don't have rebound damping with my forks and I think most all upside down forks do, so that would be a improvement for me,
the main reason I probably won't go to upside down forks is you have to replace the fork seals a lot more mainly because the fork seals are in constant contact with holding back fork oil from gravity under more pressure (because more oil volume its in constant contact with the seals or other factors?)as opposed to standard forks.
as a disclaimer this is just a as I understand it-I have not actually studied exploded diagrams of each fork to scientifically determine that's whats going on as far as why upside down fork seals need to be replaced more often there may be many other factors to why.

07 XR650L - Northern California, elevation 300' - UNI filter,Clark 4.7 tank w/support, Vapor computer, MT21 rear tire, Scorpion pro front tire, fork brace, EBC 320mm front rotor.

ThumperTDC
Thumpalicious

USA
6556 Posts

Posted on 04/25/2011 at 12:02:14 AM  Member Profile  Visit ThumperTDC's Homepage  Send ThumperTDC an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how they perform on the 650L, but here is what I noticed with my XR400. Stock forks I noticed a lot of fork flex. In the ruts I could turn into the rut and watch the handle bars slightly turn and watch the front wheel stay straight. Most times than not I would find myself picking my bike back up off the ground because of this. I then installed a SRC fork brace. The difference was noticeable the fork flex I mentioned before wasn't completely gone, but it was noticeably less. I then installed that a set of 2000 CR125 forks. I left the springs in the forks which I believed to be stock, but I also installed racetech gold valves. I thought the fork brace on the stock forks were good, but the inverted forks were amazing. I was now able to turn into the ruts and still stay upright, I have had several occasion where my front end was about to wash out, before I would have found myself rolling on the ground and then picking it back up. With the inverted forks I was able to turn and pull right out of it. I am extremely happy with them. I am going on 5 1/2 years with them and wouldn't want the stockers back. I know alot of people dont care for them, but the majority of the folks I have heard from who have installed them on XR's are extremely please with them.

2005 KTM 525MXC - The new canvas
1998 Honda XR450 - The master piece

In loving memory of my son Nicolas "Cole" Allen Carter 10/5/05

jjones006
Red Bluff, CA

USA
335 Posts

Posted on 04/25/2011 at 12:59:30 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you changed the fork seals since you have had them on the bike ThumperTDC?

07 XR650L - Northern California, elevation 300' - UNI filter,Clark 4.7 tank w/support, Vapor computer, MT21 rear tire, Scorpion pro front tire, fork brace, EBC 320mm front rotor.

ThumperTDC
Thumpalicious

USA
6556 Posts

Posted on 04/25/2011 at 10:00:05 AM  Member Profile  Visit ThumperTDC's Homepage  Send ThumperTDC an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just changed them last year when I had my bike all apart for a complete rebuild. I tore them down to get them anodized black.

2005 KTM 525MXC - The new canvas
1998 Honda XR450 - The master piece

In loving memory of my son Nicolas "Cole" Allen Carter 10/5/05

scottrod
Crestline, CA

USA
17 Posts

Posted on 04/25/2011 at 11:27:06 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I appreciate the knowledge.

07 XR650L, Dave's mods, desmogged, XR's Only muffler, Clarke 4.7, UNI a/f, desnorkeled, rejetted, more mods to come.
86 XR600
07 CRF50F (daughters)
77 XL75

MLB
Fort Wayne, IN

USA
379 Posts

Posted on 06/10/2011 at 12:33:53 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
xr400 forks are a nice upgrade on the L.
Get them set up for your weight and they work very well.
And they slide right in the L triples.

85 XR350 - CR front end
05 TTR 230
03 XR 400
93 XR650L

jjones006
Red Bluff, CA

USA
335 Posts

Posted on 06/10/2011 at 1:16:43 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Do those have Rebound damping adjustments?

thestuz
Melbourne, Vic

thestuz has no Avatar

Australia
49 Posts

Posted on 10/07/2012 at 01:51:14 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MLB

xr400 forks are a nice upgrade on the L.
Get them set up for your weight and they work very well.
And they slide right in the L triples.

are there problems with geometry though due to the 400 forks being shorter?

98 XR600R, 08 CRF450X

Admin
4Strokes.com

USA
7838 Posts

Posted on 10/08/2012 at 10:43:02 AM  Member Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jjones006

Do those have Rebound damping adjustments?

Yes, the XR400R has compression and rebound adjustments.

Forum How-To's | Forum FAQs | Forum Policies

MLB
Fort Wayne, IN

USA
379 Posts

Posted on 10/08/2012 at 8:00:31 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think they're any shorter functionally. They just don't extend below the axle like the L's do. That's a good thing as it doens't hang up on rocks as much.

85 XR350 - CR front end
05 TTR 230
03 XR 400
93 XR650L

MLB
Fort Wayne, IN

USA
379 Posts

Posted on 10/09/2012 at 9:26:17 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not the USD versus conventional that matters. It's that the USD are used and setup for motocross with much stiffer springing and valving that JUST HAPPENS to work very well on the much heavier XR's compared to the mush stockers.
It's also that the USD are a decent cartridge fork versus the old tech type suspension.
They are stiffer because of the beefier tubes.
And finally, they just look bitchin on the front of "old time" XR's. ;)

85 XR350 - CR front end
05 TTR 230
03 XR 400
93 XR650L
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com