4Strokes.com
KTM Home Four Strokes Articles Classifieds Free Ads 4stroke Forums motorbike Games cycle Images quads Videos dirt bike Ride Info 4wheelers Sponsors rider Technical freebies Contests site Search dirt cycle Contact off road
My Impressions of the Devol Lowering Link on 4Strokes.com Forums

4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - Suspension & Controls
 My Impressions of the Devol Lowering Link
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stu
Tirana

Stu has no Avatar

Albania
354 Posts

Topic started on 04/25/2003 at 06:06:03 AM  Member Profile  Send Stu an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I didn’t like it. I drove around for a few miles and all I could think of was returning to the Honda shock link arm.

I purchased it with the needle bearings and four dust caps installed so I could easily and quickly install and remove it. The quality is top notch.

The lowering link brought the swing arm 1-3/8” closer to the fender as measured at the center of the rear axle. It lowered the center of the bike 3/4” as measured at the countershaft. Because the swing arm is now being pushed into the shock 1-3/8” more, that means that I’ve lost at least one inch of rear suspension travel. I don’t like that at all.

When I first installed it, I said Boy, that rear wheel looks a lot closer to the fender. The bike also looked a lot different being lower to the ground, even if it’s only by 3/4".

Because the bike is lower to the ground, the side stand now holds the bike up at a steeper angle, meaning it’s easier to tip over than at the stock height. I had to be more careful just starting it for fear I'd tip over. Not a big point, but a point nevertheless.

I found it affected the handling negatively. For lack of a better word I'll say "squirrelier" (if that's even a word). Going in a straight line it felt less stable on numerous occasions, and I'm by no means an advanced rider.

The only thing I gained was enough lowering of the bike to be able to touch the ground with the balls of my feet vice the tips of my toes. Maybe I’ve just become accustomed to the stock height, but it's no longer an issue. I tried to not let that influence my impression. I really wanted this to work out. Regardless; I removed the Devol link arm after only about 20 miles of use and replaced it with the Honda link arm.

I believe if I want to lower the bike, the best way is to cut an inch or so of seat foam off. This will have no affect on the suspension, only the angle of my knees and arms to the handlebars – period.

I may get another piece of seat foam to experiment with cutting, but as it is now, it’s no big deal. I’m going to adjust the shock preload to give me about 1.5” of free sag which should give me 3.0 or so of race sag. This will lower the bike a tad more than where it’s currently set. If I can find a spring with the correct rate for my weight, I’ll be able to achieve a 4.0” race sag, which will probably negate any need to even mess with cutting seat foam. Well see.

$130 wasted for the Devol link? Not really. The experience was worth something...

Admin
4Strokes.com

USA
7835 Posts

Posted on 04/25/2003 at 07:29:13 AM  Member Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Older post: (Removed dead link. -Admin)

Forum How-To's | Forum FAQs | Forum Policies

Stu
Tirana

Stu has no Avatar

Albania
354 Posts

Posted on 04/25/2003 at 08:20:57 AM  Member Profile  Send Stu an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Admin: Thanks for the link. Didn't know it existed and some interesting info there.

I'm 5'5" and 118lbs with an inseam of about 29" (yea yea okay, I shop in the boys department). You're right about probably having to adjust damping/preload. I simply installed the lowering link and kept the settings I had with the stock link which were originally pretty soft. The lowering link tightned it up because it was pushing into the shock more (hence lowering the bike). This meant I had a free sag of about 0.7" vice the 1.2 or 1.3 I had with the stock. Had I loosened the preload, this would have meant a slightly lower bike, but question whether it would have helped the instability I experienced several times during my brief test, and it was a pretty bad feeling. I suspect it would not have helped.

Of note, I did NOT lower the front forks. I figured from all the negative posts about it affecting the suspension geometry/stability that it wasn't even worth trying.

It was strange that I received absolutely no instructions from DualStar when I received this link. It just came in a box with peanuts. You'd think (at least I would) that some mention would be made about lowering the forks. I knew that it was required to get their advertised 1.5" total lowering, but only after talking to them on the phone, as well as from numerous posts here. Additionally, if I had lowered the forks, the bike would be standing at an even more vertical angle. I though it was bad enough with just the 3/4" lowering from the rear but if it was lowered another 0.75" or so then I could see a good gust of wind blowing it over.

The suspension/stability felt so much better when I got the Honda link reinstalled I knew it was the right decision.

I wholeheartedly believe that the best way to lower would be to cut the seat foam and not mess with the suspension, presuming of course that you can't lower it any more by tuning the suspension (e.g. lower spring rate).

Please remember, these are just my opinions to be taken as a grain of salt.

02 XR250R

brucecha
Stockton, CA

brucecha has no Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Posted on 04/25/2003 at 08:46:53 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu
You really should have tried lowering the forks in the triple clamps.By droping the rear you increased the "trail" in the front end.By droping the front you would have corrected this.As for the bike standing up on the side stand I guess an added right side stand is in order.I am not critisizing your work,just giving you something else to do.

XR250R

Stu
Tirana

Stu has no Avatar

Albania
354 Posts

Posted on 04/25/2003 at 8:18:06 PM  Member Profile  Send Stu an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
You may be correct, but I keep remembering the posts I've seen here saying how lowering the forks negatively impacts the suspension/geometry.

Even if this corrected the handling problems I experienced, I'd still be losing some suspension travel by doing do, even if it's only 0.5 or 0.75".

Right side side stand? Never heard of that one. Perhaps it'd work, but now it getting complicated. These may be acceptable solutions for others, but (1) I've become accustomed to the height so it's no longer an issue for me and (2) cutting the seat foam is what I believe is the best, as in correct way to "lower" the bike as it will have absolutely no effect on the suspension other than lowering the center of gravity an inch or so when sitting - a good thing.

Of course, correctly tuning your suspension to achieve a 4.0" race sag is the best way to lower the bike. If you're light, you'll never get proper sag (free AND race) using the stock spring - you'll need a softer spring, which is difficult to locate other than having one custom wound. If you've obtained 4.0" race sag and you still want the bike lower, I believe the best/correct way is to remove an inch or so of seat foam. It's cheaper (by about $80-130) but most important, does not affect the suspension at all - stability or travel.

My opinion, my impressions, my feelings, right or wrong. I just don't want anyone thinking that this is "gospel". Just my take.

NorCAL XR
Northern CA

NorCAL XR has no Avatar

USA
551 Posts

Posted on 04/25/2003 at 9:19:18 PM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel your pain, I have short legs to go with my short body. I've gotten used to the height, and it's only a problem on the hills for me at this point. I just wanted to give my quick insight on the posts you may have read in the past regarding that it making your bike more unstable when lowering the forks. Take into consideration that when you do this, you're changing the geometry of the overall package. If you lowered the rear without lowering the front, you have in essence done the same thing, but on the opposite end. Take the negative results of the lowered fork and compare it to the negative result of the lower rear end and perhaps they would have complimented each other. I also agree that you have minimal front end height adjustment, but look at the angles that are changing from lowering it comparatively to the rear. Perhaps one other thing you could put into your equation is changing the wheelbase. Either add links or remove links to your drive chain so the angle pivot points are relocated.

Again, just a thought. I would hate for you to go through that amount of trouble again for an unstable machine but if you ever got curious, maybe you could give it a try. You did a good write up of it, stating all of your reasons why you didn't like it. It was nice to read as opposed to reading something to the effect of "I don't like it, don't buy it because it sucks." At least now other riders know why you didn't find it in your best interest.

01 CA XR400

HCWHunter
Hacienda Hts, CA

HCWHunter has no Avatar

USA
27 Posts

Posted on 04/27/2003 at 12:01:45 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stu;

I think you tested the lowering link incorrectly. You had already tried to set the sag for your weight and then combined the lack of pre-load with the lowering link.

I am getting a lowering link machined for my older XR (I'm selling some extras on the classified section) and fabricated a template to test the ride height. Like you, I had already decreased the pre-load on the rear spring as far as it would go which lowered the height some but not enough. My sag was something like 5 inches. When I put in the template the bike was definitely lower and would almost fall over on the kickstand like you described. It also felt kinda funny, although NOT "squirrelly" going over bumps.

I realized that the combination of the lack of proper pre-load and the change in geometry from the link was a bad one. I increased the pre-load to the proper amount (for my weight) and the ride feels fine now and the seat height is still about an inch lower but not as low as it was with no pre-load.

I'm afraid that you're not going to be able to do the same thing since you just don't weigh enough to set the sag to spec. I would suggest that you just set the static sag and forget about the race sag until you can get a proper weight spring for your weight. The link will work well with the proper pre-load.

As for losing your suspension travel, I'm not sure that you are. Remember that the tire normally doesn't go all the way up to the fender even when you bottom out the suspension unless you have an oversized tire or a paddle installed. There's some clearance built in for mud and stuff and so you don't tear up the fender. When you install the link, you change the arc of the tire movement and lose some or all of the clearance depending on your sag setting. There's also a small change in the leverage of the suspension, but that's compensated for by re-setting the sag. You might want to consider re-testing the link with the factory setting on the static sag.

HW

93 XR250R

cntryby
XR650R

cntryby has no Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Posted on 04/27/2003 at 09:50:03 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu,
Take the cover off the seat use a sharpie marker and a straight edge to mark where ya want the height of the seat. Then use a power disc sander / grinder to remove the foam ya don't need.

The sander will eat the foam away quick and easy, so go slow until ya get a feel for it.

Wrap the cover back on it and staple it down, if ya plan on keeping the bike use stainless staples. Warm the cover until its soft and stretchy before ya put it on and it will be much easier to get the wrinkles out of the corners.

Stu
Tirana

Stu has no Avatar

Albania
354 Posts

Posted on 04/28/2003 at 06:19:59 AM  Member Profile  Send Stu an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Cntryby - thanks. I think I'll try that, but I'm going to buy some seat foam first to experiment on.

That's the second time I've seen someone mention stainless steel staples. Never knew that even existed. Have to hunt for some 1/4" now.

tks agn

02 XR250R

hotwheels
Ocklawaha, FL

hotwheels has no Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Posted on 08/25/2003 at 08:40:59 AM  Member Profile  Reply with Quote
The sidestand issue on the lowered XR650L is eaisly solved by filing the sidestand where it contacts the bracket on the frame. By moving the fork tubes up 1"(25mm) in the clamps and lowering the rear preload to 4 to 5 turns from "free spring I have lowered the unleaden seat hite to 36", it lowers even further when I (6', 170#) sit on it.I am running Michelin S12 140/80x18 rear, 90/90x21 front, I have no stability problems to 75mph on the pavement, the bike turns better than ever on the trails, the front tire bottoms on the front fender(braaaaap!) letting me know that it's time to slow down! Best of all it's free! I filed a 1/16" groove in the sidestand where it contacts the bracket on the frame(not the tube, just the flatstock clevis that mounts the sidestand to the frame), I can make picture if any confusion exists, e-mail me. The sidestand now supports the motorcycle without any tipover dramas.

00 XR650L
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Sitemap | Link to 4Strokes.com | Facebook | Share This Page