4Strokes.com Forums

Classifieds | Honda CRF | Honda XR/XL | Kawasaki | KTM | Suzuki | Yamaha | Chinese | Other Makes | ATV | Misc | Ride

Active Topics | Subscriptions | All Forums | Register | Members | Search Forums | Forum How-To's | Policies | Contact
Username:    Password:  
Remain Logged In (Easier for return visits)
Click to Reset Password
 All Forums
 Honda CT FMX NX XL XR Z Forums
 CT FMX NX XL XR Z - Powertrain & Drivetrain
 How to set points on an XR80?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

radar2515
Carter Lake, IA

USA
118 Posts

Topic started on 06/21/2003 at 4:33:38 PM  Member Profile  Send radar2515 an AOL message  Send radar2515 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hey my little brother has an xr80 and the points need set so i was wondering if anyone could help me out.

1983 xr500 - Pro Racing handlebars, grips, MSR bark busters, removed snorkel and baffle, wiseco piston, brand new topend.

ACS
Melbourne

ACS has no Avatar

Australia
71 Posts

Posted on 08/05/2003 at 9:26:49 PM  Member Profile  Visit ACS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Take off the cover and you will see the flywheel. Peer inside and you will see the points. There is a small screw (made of butter) that you undo and it allows the points to be adjucsted. Undo it just a bit and with a flat blade screwdriver put it in the slots and you can widen or narrow the gap. You do this with the timming mark F lined up on the flywheel and the V or arrow on the case. Points gap should be .012 to .016 inch. You need a thin feeler gauge. If the ponts are worn the right gap will not line up with the F mark and you need new points. You can see the points open so check the opening with the F mark if its way off new points. That means removing the flywheel so get back to us and we can fill you in. I can get pages off factory manual if you need it. Hope it all makes sense.

MXing in Australia. Mini 4 strokes rule! Australian Mini 4-strokes
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2014 4Strokes.com Forums Forums Code by Snitz Forums 2000 Click to go to top Go to top of page
Copyright © 2014 4Strokes.com | All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Link to 4Strokes.com