Washington
4Strokes
Site Admin

Grizzly Hare Scrambles 5/15

Postby 4Strokes » Mon May 30, 2016 10:58 am

Topic: Race Report: Grizzly Harescramble 5/15
Author: ThumperTDC
Posted: 05/25/2005 5:45:39 PM

Well, this was the first hare scramble I have ever raced. The weather was wet, it had started raining in the early hours shortly after midnight.

Got there around 9:30am our race wasn't until 1:30pm. The pros raced first they had a 3 hour race. From the section of the track we could see it was muddy, but it didn't look that bad. The Pro's finished and found out that our race wasn't going to start until 2pm since they had to do some major rerouting of the track due to some serious mud holes. One of which was handle bar deep. The original course was 9 miles, I think it got shortened down to 6 or so for us amateurs.

The day before I spent close to 6 hours going over my bike, changing the oil adjusting the valves, new spark plug, making sure everything was race ready. I mixed up my 50/50 race gas, then at about 9:30pm as I am still loading everything into my truck, the power goes out. I had to finish loading up everything in the dark.

Wake up and get ready to head off to my buddy's place, the weather looked like it was going to be a great day for riding. It had been pouring most of the week, so a little sun was nice to see. We get onto I-5 heading north of Portland about 35 miles or so to Longview, Washington. Just south of Longview the sky turned black and started pouring. Anyway back to the race.

We had the riders meeting, then we go line up in our starting rows. To get to the starting area we had to ride though about 6 to 8 inches of water, which looked like that was where most of the rain water had pooled up. The start was a dead engine start, we had to start with our hands on our helmets, once the air horn blew we could then start our bikes. My buddy and I were in the Open C class. I had one of maybe 4 XR's out of close to 200 people. Horn blew, took me 3 kicks to start my bike, I was close to the end of my class to get off the line. What we thought didn't look too bad was so dang greasy, it was hard to hook up. We were told before the race started that if was saw any grass, go for it, because that was the best traction.

Well, no more than a 1/2 mile into the race I slide off the track and got caught and couldn't get out of where I was due to traffic. 20+ people probably went by before I was able to get back onto the track. I was pretty much having to just putt in 2nd and 3rd so that my tire wouldn't spin that bad. As soon as I hit the throttle I was sideways. To my amazement I had little kids on 80's flying past me, it was nuts. After the 1st lap my left hand grip came loose from all of the water, so that didn't help much.

I was able to complete 6 laps and only fell 4 times. I finished in 11th in my class out of 20. I ended up with 73rd overall out of close to 200 people. My buddy got 5 laps in during the 1.5 hour race finished 12th and I think got 82nd over all.

Other than getting tired out fast, due to the conditions and the loose grip I had a blast. I am looking forward to next years race. In the end I think there was close to 50 pounds of mud on my bike. I had one hell of a time getting my bike on my large stand (an elevated 5 gallon bucket) to wash it. My riding pants weighed close to 20 pounds I would say from all the mud and water, and my jacket was not far behind. The Jacket my buddy is wearing in the picture wsa my spare jacket, it was brand new. It took 4 times through the washer to get it all the way clean.......if that tells ya anything.

Here are a couple pictures we took after getting back to the trucks, and some shots of my bike with all the mud on it.

96828537.jpg
Me and my muddy 98 XR400

98027028.jpg
Keith and his muddy 04 CRF450

98027034.jpg
98027039.jpg
98027049.jpg

Here is a link to a picture slide show that was posted on another forum from the race by a Cascade Family Motorcycle club member, their club put on one heck of a race.

Grizzly Harescramble 2005 Photoshow Courtesy of MRudy

Reply by Admin on 05/25/2005 9:28:08 PM
Wow! Blackwater mudfest! I bet the bikes were heavy after all that mud! Thanks for the story and photos, ThumperTDC!!

Reply by Pappy on 06/01/2005 08:32:43 AM
man i so want 2 do that i love mud!!! lol

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18401 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “WA”