How do you break-in riding boots?

Topics specific to mfrs not listed & other misc topics.
4Strokes
Site Admin

How do you break-in riding boots?

Postby 4Strokes » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:23 am

Topic: How do YOU break in YOUR new MX boots?
Author: KingTutt
Posted: 01/21/2006 08:43:03 AM

I hope this gets response because there seems to be many out there having difficulty with this. Especially on the XR650L, if the boots aren't very soft and flexible, it's nearly impossible or very awkward and difficult at best to shift. Some have suggested soaking them in water overnight then wearing them while mowing the lawn or some other activity that would get them worked in well. Others suggest baseball glove oil. What do you do?

Reply by Admin on 01/21/2006 09:48:20 AM
With brand new boots, I just rub 'em down with shoe/bees wax, heat somewhat with hair dryer, and then just wear 'em. Even the best of boots break in after a few rides.

Reply by b_king on 01/21/2006 11:18:30 AM
I wear mine around the house while they are still clean for 2 or 3 days. I do the same with new shoes and skates and stuff.

Reply by KingTutt on 01/21/2006 11:59:56 AM
WOW, wearing them? What a concept!!LOL. Just kidding b_king. I've worn mine around the house for many days but the leather is so thick, they still are just too stiff. I think I'll try some ear wax like Admin suggested. Do ya think soaking them in might help? No, that would be a terrible waste of

Reply by KingTutt on 01/23/2006 7:36:00 PM
Hey b_king, you were right !! I wore them yesterday and today around the house and they are finally flexing enough to where I can shift. My shins are sore from workin' em so much but now they are wearable. Thanks, many 's to ya! It's a good thing to. It would have taken forever to save up enough ear wax to do what Admin said.

Reply by hilift on 01/24/2006 06:26:31 AM
Don't just wear them in the daylight hours at home. They're great at nighttime too with the extra traction.

Reply by NOV8TR on 01/24/2006 08:51:47 AM
Hey King Tutt, Did you have to move your shift lever up, or did your boots break in enough to use it in the stock location?

Reply by 4StroKen on 01/24/2006 11:54:10 AM
Hey! Oil em and do lots of squats to get them to bend. But just wearing them while riding is what you need to do. I think you still need to tweak the shifter to accommodate the size of the boot. They messed up when they made that sprocket cover!

Reply by KingTutt on 01/24/2006 12:46:47 PM
Now that they're broke in, I can shift without moving the lever up. Sitting up as far as I can to the tank makes a big difference. Not only getting them flexible enough to push the toe down, but flattening the toe while not wearing them made it so they will fit under the shift lever. Doesn't seem like the XR650L was really designed to ride with MX boots. But it's all good now. If I where a "big" guy with bigger feet, I would probably have to move the lever up though.

Reply by 4StroKen on 01/25/2006 12:09:18 PM
What about when you stand up riding? Bet you a you cant shift standing

Reply by SpeedyManiac on 01/31/2006 6:12:45 PM
I just wear them. Most boots break in in a couple rides. If you want, go mow the lawn in them. Helps break in the boots and gives the neighbors some entertainment to boot!

Reply by Tough Guy on 02/02/2006 4:43:15 PM
I had to move my shift lever up, even with my boots broken in...I wear a size 12...dang things are huge! Chris

Reply by KingTutt on 02/15/2006 5:32:51 PM
I found that if I set them in the sun for about and hour, they warm up and get much softer. Then I wear them around the house in my skivvies or mow the lawn in my speedos. That really breaks em in nice.

Reply by NOV8TR on 02/16/2006 08:11:44 AM
Ah King Tutt, The guy moves to a new town and has already figured out how to make new friends, and frighten the animals!

Reply by KingTutt on 02/16/2006 10:26:37 AM
LOL

Reply by XR4DEZ on 02/16/2006 4:51:07 PM
Water is only good for drinking and bathing for the most part. Just ride more, they'll be fine in no time.Tech 6 boots feel good from the start.

Reply by alankulwicki7 on 02/17/2006 10:37:36 PM
I wore my boots around the house for a few weeks before I rode with them on. That helped a lot but I still have a problem with one part of them rubbing on my ankle and chafing really bad. I don't ride off road much so when I do, it's really frustrating to come back from a ride and have to get a bandage out. Any suggestions on how so fix that problem area? Doug 1994 XR250L

Reply by KingTutt on 02/19/2006 5:29:27 PM
Try some Liquid Bandage stuff. I think it's called "New Skin". Put a good 3 or 4 layers on the effected area before you ride. That might do it. It also sounds like maybe your boots don't fit you right. They may be the right size, but different manufacturers make em different. Could just be them boots.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21090 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Other Mfrs & Misc Topics”