Are Riding Boots Worth it?

Topics specific to mfrs not listed & other misc topics.
4Strokes
Site Admin

Are Riding Boots Worth it?

Postby 4Strokes » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:49 am

Topic: are riding boots worth it?
Author: atyrrell
Posted: 05/28/2006 12:24:13 PM

Are riding boots all that much better then just hiking boots with a steel shank and toe? I would love to hear from anyone who just wheres hiking boots and they work out fine for him. It seems to me like hiking boots are cheaper, more comfortable, and far more versatile while with true riding boots you gain protection.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 05/28/2006 1:59:09 PM
Riding boots rate up there in my book as standard riding gear. I will wear work boots if I am testing something out on my bike and just running up and down the driveway. Riding boots offer so much more support when compared to hiking boots. I have smashed my feel between stumps and my foot pegs out riding and it hurt like a mofo, I couldn't imagine doing the same thing with hiking boots. Spend the money and get riding boots, it will be well worth the investment.

Reply by Hutch on 05/28/2006 6:37:14 PM
I have never worn a pair of real riding boots before. I wear some desert boots that I got from the surplus store. Im hesitant to get real riding boots because everyone tells me that they take a while to get used to (shifting). They certainly do seem like they offer far more protection though. The only lower leg brake I have ever seen happen was on a guy who was wearing riding boots. It might have been worse with hiking boots.

Reply by ThumperTDC on 05/28/2006 7:49:35 PM
At first it is a little difficult to get used to shifting, but the nice thing is until you do get used to it, you can adjust your shift lever up to make it easier.

Reply by KingTutt on 05/29/2006 9:54:48 PM
If I'm riding on the street, I wear Joe Rocket street boots or my Army type boots. In dirt though, where riding is more technical and the terrain is unpredictable with many obstacles and such, riding boots are the only option.

Reply by SpeedyManiac on 05/30/2006 6:09:07 PM
Riding boots are a must for offroad riding. I would definitely have broken my ankle by now had it not been for my boots. The two absolutely necessary things for riding are a good pair of boots and a good helmet.

Reply by 4StroKen on 05/30/2006 10:23:38 PM
Let us ponder...whats in a name? hummmmm! Hiking boots are for......HIKING!!!! and Riding boots are for .....RIDING!!!!

My riding buddy has this same problem...He owns a pair of riding boots but wears work boots when he rides. I guess he needs to bang his foot on a boulder for it to sink in.

Reply by RideRed on 06/02/2006 2:24:43 PM
Riding boots are a must for the serious rider. They add way more support and protection to one of the most vulnerable joints of the body than any pair of the best hiking or military/tactical type boot can. I've had bad ankles since my high school football days and I wear $250 Danner boots for work. As good as they are, when I'm on the bike, it's my Alpinestars Tech 8s, which have saved me from serious injury on more than one occasion when my foot got snagged on a rock or tree root.

Reply by Tough Guy on 06/05/2006 4:06:36 PM
I don't ride with out my riding jersey, riding pants, knee guards, elbow guards, boots, gloves, helmet, goggles and camel back. I have injured my ankles and feet from roots, trees, rocks and flying debris from the roost of other riders, I would never leave home with out my gear to ride. Chris

Reply by trd4jt on 06/08/2006 12:19:10 AM
If you think $250 is a lot for riding boots, read on..

Back in the day, our family bought two 200X three wheelers, and we went to Ocotillo Wells to try them out. My sister and I rode all over the place havin' a great time, took to the bikes like ducks to water.

O.K., then the folks want to go for a ride. Mom and Dad go down San Felipe Wash (both wearing calf length Cowboy boots) when Mom hits an off camber section, and puts her foot down for balance. Well, the 200X grabs ahold of her right leg, snaps both her tibia and fibula, and runs her over for good measure. A painful ride back to camp in a good samaritan dune buggy, and then its another 1.5 hour ride to Scripps La Jolla ER. Four hour emergency surgery to repair each shattered bone, screws, titanium rods, the whole nine yards..

THE MORAL OF THE STORY:

• RIDING BOOTS = $250, very little pain and suffering
  • HIKING BOOTS = $14,000 in medical bills (this is back in 1985) and months of painful physical therapy

You do the math... do yourself a favor. Buy riding boots.

Original URL: 4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22886 © 2016 4Strokes.com

Return to “Other Mfrs & Misc Topics”