Dave's Carb Mods

Existing technical info specific to Honda.
Respond to topics with questions or comments.
Reanimator
Rides: 2016 XR650L
Vehicles: Nothing but bikes!

Re: Dave's Carb Mods

Postby Reanimator » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:21 pm

JoeRC51 wrote:What do you mean by ''desnorkled times two'' ?

It was in conjunction of the "screw California" once and again (twice) for desnorkeling the bike. I can see how that could be confusing.

Reanimator
Rides: 2016 XR650L
Vehicles: Nothing but bikes!

Postby Reanimator » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Now it is starting to look, normal. Left is after all of Dave's mods and a 50 mile ride. So the plug is fresh still. The one on the right.. well what can I say. It's a result of a stock carb and no mods. Looks like it was running ultra lean.. should I still be skeptical about the left?
Attachments
20180409_212722.jpg
Plug with mods, plug without..

treydouglass
Rides: Motorcycles
Vehicles: Honda XR650L

Postby treydouglass » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 am

Your spark plug looks good Reanimator.

I'm in the middle of the carb mods, by carb is currently disassembled with new jets ready to be installed. My question - and understand that I have no idea what I'm doing other than what I read about the carb mods on this forum - is, what happens if I don't file down the mixture screw? I'm not sure I understand that purpose of filing it down. Also, if I really have to file it down - I don't have the proper tools. Any suggestions?

JoeRC51

Postby JoeRC51 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:12 pm

The fuel screw has a tab on it that hits a tab on the float bowl. This is to limit how far you can open the fuel screw for emissions purposes. Leave the tab on the screw head and file the tab off of the float bowl , the tab makes it easier to turn the screw and it also makes it easier to tell where you're turning the to.

treydouglass
Rides: Motorcycles
Vehicles: Honda XR650L

Postby treydouglass » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks Joe - but once you unscrew and remove the float bowl, it isn't in the way any more, and you can adjust the screw (to 2 1/4 turns out). And then just put the float bowl back on. Am I missing something? I guess I still don't understand why it's necessary to file down the tab.

Return to “Honda Technical Reference”