Rear Wheel Alignment Tool DIY

Technical info not specific to a particular mfr.
Respond to existing topics with questions or comments.
4Strokes
Site Admin

Rear Wheel Alignment Tool DIY

Postby 4Strokes » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 am

I built a dirt bike rear wheel alignment tool out of some PVC pipe, two 90-degree elbows, two PVC end-caps, a hose clamp, a screw, and a cone shaped Hematite magnet (optional), all for just a couple of bucks!

The PVC pipe was free, as it was scrap from broken pieces (two 2-foot pieces, one with the I.D. the size of the other O.D.). I bought one hose clamp. I already had the screw, two PVC end-caps and the elbows. The BIG find here was at an old mom-and-pop hardware store I found a piece of magnetic Hematite! The piece I found was cone shaped on both ends. Originally I was going to use a cone shaped nut or accorn nut in place of the Hematite piece.

wheel_align_tool.jpg
These instructions will be easier understood by looking at the picture.

1. Cut a couple grooves or slots in the end of the larger PVC pipe to allow it to clamp down on the other pipe.
  2. Slide the other smaller PVC pipe into the larger one. Install and tighten the hose clamp.
  3. Glue on the PVC elbows.
  4. Drill a hole in the center of one of the PVC end-caps and install the screw from the inside. Then glue it on.
  5. Now attach the other end. If you found a suitable piece of hematite, sweet! If not, then use a cone shaped nut.
The original idea was to have the cone shaped nut self-center in the axle hole and the other end with the screw point at the center of the swingarm bolt. Tighten the hose clamp so you can still twist back and forth to adjust the length, then check the other side. The Hematite magnet made the cone shaped nut obsolete, as now it keeps itself centered and held in place, shu-weet!

I found the snail adjusters on my XR650L motorcycle to be out by one number (i.e. 24 on one side and 25 on the other). Now I know my rear wheel is aligned correctly. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do. P.S. It took me longer to write this article than build my homemade motorcycle rear wheel adjuster.

Credits: Article written and submitted by Dave Morgan of Marietta, GA. Edited by 4Strokes.com.

Return to “Non-Mfr Technical Reference”