Reminder to All Motorcycle Riders

Riding Other Countries, Misc Riding Topics
4Strokes
Site Admin

Reminder to All Motorcycle Riders

Postby 4Strokes » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:21 pm

watch.png
Yesterday, I became a member after reading articles on your site for the last week or so. Thank you for the wealth of information about various items. It is perfect for us guys that like the feelings of challenge and accomplishment by learning and doing our own work. In my case, uncorking my XR650L is what I'm reading about mostly, and will be asking some questions of my own in the Forums.

Remember to always ride like you're NOT invisible to other drivers
If I could contribute right away, it would be a reminder for all riders to remember! Remember to always ride like you're NOT invisible to other drivers, as most people who have RUN OVER a motorcyclist usually say, "Oh, I didn't even see him!" Today, we cannot ignore being surrounded by drivers with a cigarette in one hand, and a cell phone in another. Just how much control have they got on the steering wheel if they do have to react quickly? I had a young woman pull a U-turn right in front of me, and had I not had a gut feeling just from her age and her current focus of attention (of which I was not), and slowed right down, I would have plowed right into her driver side door. The first week I got my motorcycles license when I was 19 years old, four teenage guys in a car came over the yellow line right at me on purpose, on a isolated country road, just for laughs! I had five days of actual riding experience in traffic. So, ride more than just being invisible these days, anticipating, accounting and compensating for the inevitable errors of others.

Drivers of vehicles will assume you're going to yeild
Don't forget that most see motorcycles as smaller vehicles than the car or truck they're in. They assume you're going to yield to them, because size dictates that you basically have to. They neglect to realize that an accident with a motorcyclist will screw their lives up just as much, if not more than other accidents, because of the increased chance of death or paralysis. Don't let anyone's lack of care and attention, thoughtlessness, or just plain laziness, ever force you to end your riding days, a single moment before you're ready. When the sad day comes when you have to admit that you will not be riding anymore, let that be your decision, and no one else's!

Thanks again for the web site, and enjoy riding!

Credits: Article written and submitted by JimXR650L. Edited and published by 4Strokes.com.

Return to “Riding Other & Misc”